Intro #2, The Coherent Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LHotelUmbraQua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, forum,

[Below is a more coherent introduction — an email request to an aquarium supplier. I am set on the Umbra as my first tank; solutions are most welcome…! ]

Hello:

Kindly help me configure and purchase: #1 a filtration system and #2 a temperature control system / lighting for a 1.8 gallon freshwater tank, to provide a healthy, sustainable environment for 2-3 fish, and one snail.

I know small tanks are a challenge, but it is doable, and I have the time for upkeep and study. : - )

Fish / plants / substrate to be ordered *only* after the environment is right. I have in mind one showy, colorful fish (e.g., betta or similar); 1-2+ hardy fish (e.g., cardinal tetras); plus a snail.

My preference is as open and minimalist interior as possible, and still be healthy (e.g., fewer, not more plants; isolated substrate, *some* open floor space; minimal objects). Boring with little detail is okay, as long as the fish are well cared for, with enough plant matter.

My goal is to build the landscape, condition the water, and test the systems before any fish arrive. I will be happy if the fish are happy!

Thank you.

I really wouldn’t put more than a beta in a tank like that, or you could go designer shrimp but that would require some live plants and substrate and eliminate the beta.

My mind keeps spinning, and I’ve realized: I can grow plants around the hotel as well; have whatever floor surface I want *under* the glass; and use the inside surface of the shell to create some of the illusion, and suggest a very different interior. I can even have a second aquarium behind it, and keep a school of tetras in it, so they’re visible swimming past the back windows — and get a single fish that is not bothered by them.

I guess what I’m crazy about is the design possibilities. I’ve even found square domes and bowls that can set above the hotel, on stilts if I want. And I can make a hanging sculpture mobile using filament and mosaic tiles, suspended so it is submerged, rotating slowly in the water.

Tons and tons of possibilities that really won’t interfere with the fish.

And give whatever fish is alone inside exactly what it needs and nothing else, just room to swim and places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom