Intro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garjam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all My name is Gary and I'm a newbie just bought my first fish tank two days ago (fluval chi) I'm 28 and from south Wales uk

I haven't put any fish or heater in at the morment come to think of it the only thing I've put in is water .
so any ideas or help for the next step would be be great

Many thanks

Thanks nice to know someone local on here and in the furture you could recommend some fish shops to me haha
Where you from in Wales I'm in the south (Neath)

Could someone tell me the pros and cons of the different types of fish groups salt or topical please

I'm a gogg mate north Wales, Mold Wrexham way been plodding away at the tank for a few years now started off without a clue made every mistake going trust me!!!

Tropicals a lot cheaper and not speaking from experience but from what I've read and heard a saltwater tank and it's care is a lot more challenging than tropicals

Thanks you've made my mind up haha next thing now what type of heater do I need and is there anything else I must get before I start getting fish in there

Heater- depends on size of tank to be fair

Read up on cycling abs the nitrogen cycle for aquariums it will save you a hell of a lot of money and stress....I lost all of my fish because I didn't read up about fish keeping before chucking fish in a tank and let's just say I wish I had!!!!!

Oh thanks, the tank I got is only 10" by 10" and 16" high more of a water feature with the fountain on top (25litres) fluval chi I haven't even put stones in the bottom yet. I don't know where to start haha.
The shop I bought it from said add water and bring a sample back in a week. So I was waiting till that was ready before looking any further in to it

Right well there's 2 ways you can go fish less cycling or with fish fishless is more humane but kits your calls get the filter going, the idea is to get aload of bacteria in to the filter so it can feed on all of the crap ( literally ) the fish produce if there's no bacteria in the filter to help neutralise the toxins the the fish are going to die very quickly , do you know anyone with a tank? If so pinch a bit of there filter material, good fish shops will also give you some of there filter material if not drop a
Little fish food in the tank and let it decompose this will start to add the bacteria you need to support fish.... It's not going to be done in a week honestly!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get some food in it tomorrow (haven't even bought that yet haha) can't see me getting any filters from anyone though. how long should I wait till I take a sample and what will they be looking for in the sample ph ?

Sorry to be a pain and nagging you with all these silly question

Nah don't be daft mate it all depends to be honest mine took months (190 litre) drop a bit of food In there and leave it go (make sure the filter is on!) there's stages which let you know how far along your getting
First
Ammonia builds up
Second
Nitrite rises as ammonia decreases
Third
Nitrate builds up as nitrite decreases

Your going to need a checklist of things you need:

Water conditioner - add each time you do a water change

Test kit- don't let the fish shop keep taking your
Money, test it yourself!

If I were you I would take it slow and get it right first time otherwise it becomes demoralising and you'll end up giving it all up before you've even got started.....I know because I've been there!!!!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions though!!!!!!

Cheers
Is them 5 in 1 dip sticks the same or as good as a test kits

They will do for now mate yeah not as accurate as liquid test kits (API freshwater test kit is the best) but they will be fine for now mate

Back
Top Bottom