Intro from MadTaz15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadTaz15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, just want to say hi and provide some info in regards to our new 3ft tank setup.

We've had a 2ft tank and a corner tank for a while now with tetras, plecos, a cory, an angel and a siamese. We were battling to get the tanks right so we decided to upgrade to a 3ft and include as many plants as posible for hiding and resting for the little fish.

We have a Resin sp2500l filter that is providing a nice strong current and it seems as if the new danios and tetras are loving it. We have created a sanctuary area for the tetras and danios so they can rest. Even our existing siamese seems happier now. The 2 plecos have picked up their fins. The angel is swimming more and the little pepper cory is very happy.

We went and purchased some fish today which include monos (2), pygmy gourami (2), tetra mix (7), danio mix (5) as recommended by the pet shop. After some research (should have done that first I guess) we have found out that monos require brackish water and can grow very large and become aggressive. The monos were quite expensive and we are just a little po at the moment as it looks like we might have to move/sell/return them as they will not work in our community tank.

Current fish total is 5 danios,1 angel, 10 tetras, 2 plecos (1 pleco is large, the other is mid size), 1 cory, 2 gourami and 1 siamese.

We are not experienced aquariusts and are worried that we might battle to look after the monos and don't want any issues down the line with them and the other fish.

We have always had the 2 plecos seperated and now that they are together the larger one seems to chase the smaller one a lot.... is that normal?

Anyway, hi and any advice is appreciated.
I can send pics if anyone is interested.

Cheers for now,
Nanette

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome, but WOW! That's a fair mixture of fish.
Firstly, the fish shop was totally irresponsible to sell you that mix of fish if they were aware that they were all going into one tank. The monos are totally wrong; wrong water, wrong size, wrong temperament. If they survive they will prey on your smaller fish. Shame you don't have another tank because they are stunning fish in the right environment.
The rest will probably get on well but I have never had more than one plec in a tank so maybe someone else can give there input on that. Could just be a territory issue that will settle down. Try giving each a retreat at each end of the tank - might work. My plec has a 'cave' in the bog wood and woe betide any fish that goes near the entrance. However, he is fine outside of his house. Good luck and let us all know how things go. Steve.

Hi ScottJudd, Thanks for the reply it is greatly appreciated. We do have another tank (our older smaller corner tank) which we are actually trying to sell as we only want 1 community tank. We are going back to the pet shop today to return the monos and get some more community based fish. As for the 2 plecos we'll keep our eyes on them and if gets too hectic we'll have to move or sell the smaller pleco.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. That's a good move. Shame about the monos though. Had another thought about the plecs. When you feed them put food at each end of the tank. They will soon get used to where the food is an hopefully not squabble over it. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom