Intro from SE Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrDuktayp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I am thinking about setting up a tank. Initially I was looking into aquaponics but since I want to grow tomatoes which require a PH of 5.5 to 6.0 that is out. However, I still think I would like to start a tank.

I really like guppies and thought a few would be neat with to have a tank with live plants like water wisteria. My grandparents raised them as feeders when I was a kid and remember them as fun to watch. I have a grand daughter due in a few weeks so maybe she will like watching them like I did.

This forum came up each time I searched a topic so I decided this was a good forum to join and learn from people.

I'll probably read for the next few days and then decide on tank size and fish.

Oh, and we have very soft water (rainwater).

-Tom

Welcome to the forum.
Guppies and other live bearers are great to watch, especially for children. My only reservation would be your very soft water. It was my understanding that live bearers preferred harder water but are quite adaptable. Hardening water is not my area of experience but I'm sure someone could chip in with some easy tips to make your guppies more comfortable.
Good luck with the tank.

Yeah. I am concerned as well. There are some threads on here so I am reading. I suppose I could also check the hardness after the tank has cycled then get the fish to suit the environment.

And thanks for the reply.

-Tom

I picked up a used tank yesterday. It's a 10g tank Marineland Eclipse 1. I'll test it for leaks this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom