Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah they had different types of loach fish,which I liked the look of aswell,is there any particular fish which are good to start off with?

Well, I'd go with some rarer fish honestly. The common ones are overbred and can lead to some serious problems. Take a look at The various tetra species, as they're usually good for beginners. Look at fish like rummy nose tetras and emperor tetras, as they'll have a lower death rate then the more common neon tetras and guppies. Cories are also a good starter fish, panda cories are a really good place to start. I'd also like to point out that if you get a pleco, DO NOT go with a common pleco. They can get to 2 feet in length! Check out the smaller bristlenose, clown, and rubber lip species. Fish like mollies and platys are popular as well.

Ive been looking on the net and came across the Siamese fighting fish looks really spectacular are they difficult to maintain?

They're really pretty and relatively easy, but any fish that looks like them or is in the same family is likely to get ripped apart.

Yeah they had different types of loach fish,which I liked the look of aswell,is there any particular fish which are good to start off with?

The tetras as was mentioned are good choice and the Redtail shark is a gorgeous fish as it Grows .. but they can get up to 6 inches long ... so a 55 gallon is the recommended minimum. Also you can really only have one per tank ... they get very territorial with other of their species or similar bottom dwellers.

Another good starter fish are Barbs ... I think they're great! Energetic, colorful, hardy and come in relatively small sizes (up to 2-3 inches max) with a couple of exceptions. Most Barbs are relatively peaceful shoaling fish so they need a group of at least 6.

TigerBarbs are the most aggressive notorious fin nippers, but keep them in a group of 6, and they channel that aggression towards each other as the males try to establish dominance of the shoal. However, you will need to avoid slow moving, large fin fish (Ex. Angels).

Back
Top Bottom