Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeyWing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy! I just joined the forum and thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've been keeping fish for fifteen years and currently have two operating aquariums:

The first is a 27 gallon bowfront with three, 9 year old Lionhead goldfish. I opted to go bare-bottom after one of the fish swallowed a piece of gravel. (I came home to find her sitting on the bottom of the aquarium with her fins clamped, unable to get water through her gills. I used some clove oil to anesthetize her and carefully removed the rock with a pair of tweezers. She recovered just fine, but I didn't want to risk the lives of my fish, so I removed the gravel.) I have an air stone in one corner and the fish seem to enjoy both that and the high water flow emitted by my power filter.

My second aquarium is a 1 1/2 gallon nano tank in which I am raising a betta that I obtained as a fry. I have a clay substrate and am laboring to grow several low-light plants - an endeavor which is meeting with moderate success. I keep a small bubbler buried near the center of the tank, since I have opted to go filter-free. I have a small, high-quality heater in the tank (a risk if it should malfunction, but necessary to maintain an high enough temperature to keep my fish happy).

I don't have the room to add any more tanks, but when I do, I want to try my hand at breeding bettas and set up a reef tank. (I recently won a frag kit in a contest and am excited to learn more.)

I am unaware of any fish clubs in my local area, so my fish-keeping efforts are limited to what I am able to learn on my own. I hope that this forum will expand the resources available to me... and maybe provide a bit of companionship. (Face it, most folks just don't understand how anyone can develop an emotional attachment to a fish or why some of us believe it's worth investing time and money when that fish gets sick!)

Hope to hear from all of you soon!

KeyWing

Back
Top Bottom