Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLConrad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello from NW Ohio
I am a new member and thought I would introduce myself. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I am going to be tearing completely down, cleaning, and then setting up with Live plants. (I currently have plastic plants.) The few fish that I do have in the tank will go into a 30 gallon that I have. I have been looking at various substrates to put into my tank. I currently have 30 pounds of fluorite red (Seachem) and am planning on getting another 15 pounds of the same. I will probably add some regular gravel to this as well. I have been hesitant to go to live plants, but thought I would give them a try. This leads to some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.
1. What size gravel is best to use with live plants?
2. I have found various sites that offer plants for sale. Has anyone bought
plants on line? Any recommendations?
3. What about tank additives for plant growth and to keep them healthy.
I have seen so many different items for plant health that I am not really
sure what I would need.
After it is set up, I am planning on making it a discus tank

Hi,

First of all, welcome on aboard...

Don't use gravel which is really, really small. Roots of plants need sufficient nutrition and if the gravel is too small, you'll have a severe problem at a certain point. Everything from 1mm and up would be okay to use.
All of my 60 tanks are planted and the vegetation are growing just fine. In case they need a small boost, I only add carbonized sparkling water (without any sweetening) which you're able to buy at any drugstore/supermarket. I don't add any commercial supplements to these tanks.
Thusfar, I've never ordered plants online. Simply because I like to see a plant for real which I like to purchase. But that's just a personal preference.
I myself dislike plastic plants in a fishtank. To me a fishtank should look natural. So, that means also the plants... But again, also that's a personal preference.

Take care, "S"

Back
Top Bottom