Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfinch777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am Jfinch777,
I am a elderly woman trying to run a new fangled 32G Bio Cube. Been running it for about a month, I have spent at least 20-30 hrs a week on just trying to figure this thing out.
In the olden days I bought a fish store out, and had 11 tanks going. Ocean and freshwater. So I've had some experience with the old fashioned tanks.
Like then and now, it's a fustrating and challenging, trial and error experience:facepalm:.
From what I've figured out, I needed to get bio-balls for the bottom of the Media basket, then a sponge, and then the carbon filter. I used the frugal ceramic rings in a bag, then I got purigen for the 2nd shelf then the sponge and then the carbon filter. I still am having issues with clearing my water, so I use water clarifer once in a while. But I sure wood like to know how to get that wet water look.
I have 3 Ciclids. Have been having issues with them with shimming, flashing and jerking. Did 2 treatments with ick. Tested the water. with what I could but no Kh test or Co. Water is good. Been doing water changes 3-4 times a week been adding 1-2 tbl spoons aquarium salt every other day. Just got through ordering medical chemicals. :blink:

Last edited:
Wow. OK how did you cycle your filter/tank? It takes 3-8 weeks to complete that process before any fish should be added. I assume you have a small canister filter since you say 'baskets'. This need to be just filled with simple plastic pot scrubbies, as many that will fit in all baskets. Bio balls are never needed and carbon in only used to remove medications and any smells from the aquarium. You never need any chemical media in an aquarium because that is masking the problem.

What de chlorinator are you using?

What exactly are your water parameters numbers? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

You said you are treating for Ick? Are you sure it is Ick? Shimming, flashing and jerking is not a sign of Ick. Why are you adding salt? Stop adding salt. You are in a salt overdose mode right now as salt is only removed by water changes.

Here is a list of sites you should go to and read everything.

Aquarium Cycling Index

Cloudy water help is here

Filter Media and the testing of it.

Chemical filtration media

Information on Salt

Hope this helps and Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom