Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning, I am new to the aquarium life, by default. I am an elderly mother of an 8 year old autistic boy, who was given fish for his birthday in June of last year. Of course, I am the one who cares for the fish/snails etc. And have got quite attached to these little swimmers, sliders.
I have been learning by failing quite a lot, and sadly have lost a beta fish, mystery snail, a glow fish, and just this morning a mystery snail, which grew into this large gorgeous snail (never in my life, did I ever think I would call a snail gorgeous).
I read many comments on here about mystery snails, going into a hibernation state for days, which gave me hope. I noticed the heater in the tank was not warming the tank as it should, and so replaced yesterday, in the hope that this snail, would get off its back and get back some life. I did however notice, its body had kind of moved sideways in the shell, which set off alarms, as this is what happened to the first snail who perished when separated. I continued my powers of energy, to no avail, this morning I put the light on, and opened the top and smelt this really awful smell, and so removed the deceased snail (wow what an awful smell, I dry gagged for about 10 minutes)
Now, yes I am awfully long winded, please tell me, what I should do with the tank so the two little fish that have survived my bad management for the past 5 months, can live. I put 5 ml water conditioner in the tank and a jug of spring water, until I hear from you. Please advise.
Of course my son is devastated, again, we had a very short ceremony for the snail prior to school. RIP

Back
Top Bottom