Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrittH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to proper fish keeping as of this past September 2022. I had betta fish in the past when I was unaware of all their proper care. I got a new Betta this past September 2022 and have the heater, test kits, all that stuff I never knew I needed before this go around. Fast forward to now (Feb 2023) and I have 3 tanks and one I will soon start to cycle for my husband.
I have:
-3 gallon with a betta and 2 nerites,
-2.5 with a betta and 1 rabbitsnail,
-10 gallon with a king betta, 9 ammano shrimp, 3 nerites.

I'm here mostly to learn more and ask questions to continue my new hobby I love so much!

My first post will be to ask about my tanks biolod and Nerites VS Rabbitsnail bioload and make sure I have everyone in their best tanks to control ammonia levels best. Any advice on that is appreciated! :)

My next tank will be a 55 gallon I will cycle for my husband to have some black angelfish. :)

Welcome to the community. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you are getting up to.

I would expect a rabbit snail to have a higher bioload than a nerite snail simply because they are a larger snail.

With regards to bioload and controlling ammonia, if your tank is cycled then you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia regardless of bioload. The exception to this is if your tank and filtration is simply not big enough to cope with the bioload. Got to be honest, i don't think ive ever seen those circumstances and i dont think your set ups are overstocked from a bioload PoV.

Post pics please. Always nice to see peoples tanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you have an established tank with a healthy biological filter, you don't need to cycle another tank. You can take some of the established filter media/ material and use it in the new tank's filter for an instant cycle.

Back
Top Bottom