Introduction and Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Litlover11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I am an English Major at a Midwestern college. I have 6 fish, 2 cats and 2 dogs. Two years ago I adopted my first fish for college, a pink veiltail Betta named Touchstone. It was love at first sight. Since then, I have been interested in fish keeping. I have two established tanks right now, a ten gallon and a five gallon. The five gallon is home to Touchstone. The ten gallon is home to 3 peppered corys, 1 false julii cory, and 1 neon blue mickey mouse platy, named Dalek.

Here is my question. Is it possible for me to add a Betta, male or female, to the ten gallon? I am sick of just having Dalek swimming around, but he is too aggressive towards other platys. He bullied my last two platys to death (I was at away at college when it happened, so I didn't know what was going on until it was too late). He gets along well with the corys, though. I do have a backup tank I could use in case it gets ugly. I just want some advice before I decide to adopt another fish.

Welcome to AA! :)

I would say that with a backup plan in place, it is worth a try at least. Try shuffling around the decor a bit right before you add the betta.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!:) I might try adding a female Betta, as I have heard that they are less aggressive than males.

They usually are, but I've also seen some awnry female bettas. lol

I will try to pick one that acts less aggressive :) I could try putting her cup next to another to see how she reacts. Would that be cruel? I wouldn't want to stress her out! I actually like female Betta fish, even though my family thinks they are ugly. I think they are under appreciated by the general public.

Back
Top Bottom