Introduction from a retread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6rtury

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Many years, and many moves ago, I was an avid fish hobbyist. Went back to school, and with concurrent work, I didn't feel settled enough to set up my tanks again. I'm at the most-settled place in my life now, and want to restart.

In the meantime, aquarium technology has really changed. Have done a lot of reading on cycling, hardware, plantings etc. and my remaining problem is where to purchase and how to get it into the house. I live in mid-Delaware (Dover). Had found a great store in Wilmington for everything I wanted for a fresh water, planted, 55-gal tank and 10-gal isolation tank. Because I cannot transport and lift the tank or furniture, this store was perfect, delivering and setting up everything at a reasonable cost. When I called back 10-days later to confirm the order, the store was out of business, and remains so. One other store in that area does not impress me with the proprietor's willingness to work with customers. I visited the store and he was not willing to answer my questions. Although the local Pet Smart may be OK in a pinch for supplies, they won't deliver. Any advice? I'm not adverse to buying online, but again there is the problem of the heavy tank and cabinet.

Thanks.

Advice appreciated.

Welcome to AA!
Yes a lot has changed technology wise. And things continue to change.
This site is great for finding the answers you are looking for from avid hobbyists. Posts are often entertaining and insightful. Plenty of folks come here because the local stores don't always give the advice you need or give incorrect information. Not all of them I might add.
Perhaps you can contact a local moving company for the heavy lifting. Good luck!

Re: Introduction - where to find...

Thanks, Fresh20. I've been browsing through the posts and see that the forum is active and current. It will be a great help.

I forgot to mention that I do most of my shopping for everything out of town: Philadelphia area, S. NJ, MD, DC, and even the resort areas in southern DE -- all within easy driving distance for me. They also cater to more urban tastes than one finds in rural DE. I know that quite a few physician and business offices in parts of DE have aquaria that are set up and maintained by companies, and I'm going to see if one of them will do a residential setup if I buy from them -- at a residential price of course. I don't need the maintenance service, which is where they probably make their $$.

6rtury

That's a great idea about contacting a service that specializes in fish tanks. Not a slight against moving companies.
I like visiting shops and seeing live stock and nice setups. But nearly all of the mom and pop shops have been replaced with national chain stores. If I get a good shipping rate I usually order most things online.

Back
Top Bottom