Just getting into the world of fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there! My name's Allyson and I recently started a job in the pet department at Petsmart. Before that I had NO interest in fish, and now I'm excited to start my own freshwater tank. I think it'll be fun and also help me assist customers with potential problems they may have with either the fish or the equipment. Right now I pretty much only know the basics. I'm often in the department by myself and don't have all the opportunities I want to ask questions, so I'm hoping this forum will help me learn faster!

I'm getting a hand-me-down 20 gallon tank from a friend and have mostly picked out what I want to fill it with. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it colorful and exciting, I'm all ears!

I do want a rubber lip pleco because they're so adorable...otherwise I really like the look of live bearers. I've picked out my 3 favorite guppies we always have in stock (turquoise, yellow cobra, red tuxedo) and a dalmatian molly...so that gives me room for about 2-3 more I believe. Really hope I find a blue platy at some point! I've been thinking about swordtails and balloon mollies but I'll have to find one that's really striking. Since I only have a small tank for now, I don't want anything too plain or "filler" fish.

Then I want some live plants as well, right now I think the moneyworts are my favorite look-wise. I'm undecided on snails and ghost shrimp.

Of course I'll add them all gradually, and I want all males because I don't think I'm ready to deal with breeding yet. At Petsmart they've told me 1 inch of full grown fish per gallon, is that the consensus here as well?

So anyway I better stop before I keep rambling, but that's where I'm at right now! Still in the planning stage and would love people to talk to about it.

Hi there! My name's Allyson and I recently started a job in the pet department at Petsmart. Before that I had NO interest in fish, and now I'm excited to start my own freshwater tank. I think it'll be fun and also help me assist customers with potential problems they may have with either the fish or the equipment. Right now I pretty much only know the basics. I'm often in the department by myself and don't have all the opportunities I want to ask questions, so I'm hoping this forum will help me learn faster!

I'm getting a hand-me-down 20 gallon tank from a friend and have mostly picked out what I want to fill it with. If anyone has any ideas on how to make it colorful and exciting, I'm all ears!

I do want a rubber lip pleco because they're so adorable...otherwise I really like the look of live bearers. I've picked out my 3 favorite guppies we always have in stock (turquoise, yellow cobra, red tuxedo) and a dalmatian molly...so that gives me room for about 2-3 more I believe. Really hope I find a blue platy at some point! I've been thinking about swordtails and balloon mollies but I'll have to find one that's really striking. Since I only have a small tank for now, I don't want anything too plain or "filler" fish.

Then I want some live plants as well, right now I think the moneyworts are my favorite look-wise. I'm undecided on snails and ghost shrimp.

Of course I'll add them all gradually, and I want all males because I don't think I'm ready to deal with breeding yet. At Petsmart they've told me 1 inch of full grown fish per gallon, is that the consensus here as well?

So anyway I better stop before I keep rambling, but that's where I'm at right now! Still in the planning stage and would love people to talk to about it.

1inch per gallon is way outdated, it all depends in the fish you have

Would you put a full grown Oscar in a 20g?
Or a black ghost Knifefish in a 10g?

Moneywort is good but you will need sufficient lighting, snails and shrimp are both good

Ooh alright..so if I had a 20 gallon, would it be too many fish with a total of 20 inches of guppies, mollies, platys, and one rubber lip pleco after they're full grown? They would be bought at about half their adult size, so 10 inches total fish.

Even then, petsmart says upside down catfish get like 3 inches I think and mine Is like 6 almost 6.5. Molly's and pleco's both produce a lot of waste and may create a big biolaod for you tank. Also the live bearers will reproduce and your live plants will give cover and your tank might over populate itself. Do you have any other stores to get fish? Petsmart doesn't have a good selection on my eyes.

I can really get them anywhere, Petsmart just seemed like the logical choice since I'm there staring at the fish all day anyway. They say the mollies and platys get to 3 inches, is that number off? I'm definitely interested in upgrading my tank in the future, but since this one is free, I'll take it as my starter! And I'm planning on getting all males to avoid reproduction.

Back
Top Bottom