Just got my fist tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmonicarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is Carlos, I'm in south Florida and I just set up my first saltwater tank. It's a 15 gallon tank but I think its perfect for what I want. Just for fun and relaxation and its also good for family involvement. Most people think you can have fish right away but I like the idea of having to wait. I think the waiting makes it more worth it. So its good to be part of this community now and besides my wife enjoys the time we are spending together on this project.
Enjoy your time.

I haven't really decided to be honest. We would like to get fish right away but hate to put them in there just to watch them die and the place where we purchased the tank said we should wait at least two weeks. Any suggestions as to what's better?

Wait for sure.

And id wait about a month.

You can use live rock and a raw shrimp to cycle.

Welcome! You can always find someone on here to help you with any questions. :)

I have a live rock in there already but what do you mean by "raw shrimp" ? Dead raw shrimp without any fish in the tank?

I have a live rock in there already but what do you mean by "raw shrimp" ? Dead raw shrimp without any fish in the tank?

Yup, just to release some ammonia. Don't let it rot though. You should be fine just adding one since you have a 15 gallon too.

I have more questions:
when should I start adding water to my tank and can I use regular tap water; Florida water is pretty clean or should I purchase more saltwater?
Also, when should I start testing the water and which tester should I get and what should I expect to pay for a good water tester?
I purchased my starter tank and accesories from Allpets Emporium and i'm wondering if they are a good source or can you recomend a good place to purchase in the future what I may need, including fish.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom