jwkerux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwkerux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am not new to this, but it has been a long time. I was once quite up to all the new things, and now am not. I plan to purchase a 150 gal tank and use it for tetras and barbs and such. I am exploring the sump concept, and like it. I am the kind of guy that will use a 2x6 when a 2x4 will do... overkill!
Any of you who are up to the NEW of this, pleas let me know what would be good for me to know...
Jim

I am looking at setting up 150 fresh water system. I like what I see others doing with the sump system, but confess that all of it is BRAND NEW to me. Anyone recomend anything I can look at or read in order to learn? Why do I need a refugeum, or is that only for salt? I have a 55 I plan to use, and the 150 I plan on getting has holes bored in the bottom if I want, or I can get one without.
I hate being this ignorant of something I once was sooooo smart about.
Is it silly to have an undergravel filter with a sump system?
I asisted with the building of a water purification system for Pepsi Cola when I was a pup, and have thought about attempting my own brand/hand at a sump filter... which might be overkill... not sure what to do, but want to get a tank going, with fish in it.

I wonder if any who are pro at the sump, for tropical, might have time to help me out... I would like to know any conclusions one might have reached, why they decided to go the way they went, and such things... for instance, are bio balls better to use than small rocks? It strikes me that small rocks are what fish have been using to purify their water for a long time... I am just needing info... I want to build the best sump I can. If I need a chamber for "this", then I want one... if I need a chamber for "that" then I want one. Anyone out there with the patience to help me out?

I wonder if any who are pro at the sump, for tropical, might have time to help me out... I would like to know any conclusions one might have reached, why they decided to go the way they went, and such things... for instance, are bio balls better to use than small rocks? It strikes me that small rocks are what fish have been using to purify their water for a long time... I am just needing info... I want to build the best sump I can. If I need a chamber for "this", then I want one... if I need a chamber for "that" then I want one. Anyone out there with the patience to help me out?

I'll do what I can

I would go with the balls because they are cheaper and do about the same thing. If you want to see pictures of mine I believe I have some in my profile let me know if there isn't any

I am looking at setting up 150 fresh water system. I like what I see others doing with the sump system, but confess that all of it is BRAND NEW to me. Anyone recomend anything I can look at or read in order to learn? Why do I need a refugeum, or is that only for salt? I have a 55 I plan to use, and the 150 I plan on getting has holes bored in the bottom if I want, or I can get one without.
I hate being this ignorant of something I once was sooooo smart about.
Is it silly to have an undergravel filter with a sump system?
I asisted with the building of a water purification system for Pepsi Cola when I was a pup, and have thought about attempting my own brand/hand at a sump filter... which might be overkill... not sure what to do, but want to get a tank going, with fish in it.

Ok, I may be out of line here cuz I m fairly new but want to tell you that the plastic Bioballs are sort of considered old school. I got them initially but based on advice from Convict, upgraded to the Fluval Biomax ceramic rings. Just my 2¢.

I have had both and I can't tell the difference between the rings and balls to be honest. They are both good imo.

Sorry I guess I kinda left that part out because this sounded like t was going to be a ton of questions

Back
Top Bottom