Learning Curve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken3038

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had both salt and fresh water aquariums in the past. I down graded and have a 45 gal tank with a few goldfish the past 10 yrs or so. Goldfish are hardy and can live in any water condition or so I thought. About 6 months ago the 3 goldfish and a Pleco started to look sick. Eventually all had died. Old age was the reason I believed why. I then purchased 3 Koi but 2 died after just 2 weeks. My wife finally convinced me to test the water. Years of poor maintenance took the toll. Nitrates were +200, nitrites 1.0, hardness 300, Alkalinity 40, and PH 7.2 So here I am relearning and searching for answers. After several water changes I'm happy to report that Nitrates are 80, Nitrites 0, Hardness 75, Alk 120, and PH 7.8. I did add another Koi ( I think its a goldfish as it has no feelers) and a Pleco. The Pleco didn't survive the 64 F water temp but also learned that they aren't good to have with Goldfish. Onward to seek more knowledge...

Hello and Welcome to AA.

Are you saying that you have Koi in your 45 gallon tank? If so, I recommend that you take them back. Koi and grow to be 2-3 Foot long and need 1000+ gallon ponds.

Hello and Welcome to AA.

Are you saying that you have Koi in your 45 gallon tank? If so, I recommend that you take them back. Koi and grow to be 2-3 Foot long and need 1000+ gallon ponds.

A Koi may have been a mistake. I do have a 90 gal that has been empty for years but even that may be to small. Also learning about bio load ...

Back
Top Bottom