Live plant concerns and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a live plant for my nursery tank today and I am concerned. Does it need a certain amount of sunlight and does it need a certain type of light bulb for my aquarium light. I don't want it to die. The Petco guy didn't recommend anything for it, he said it would be fine. My nursery tank is 2.5 gallons if that helps with anything? Thanks and please reply! I'm very curious :)

For us to be able to help you, we need to know what plant it is. A picture of the tank and the plant would be very helpful if you do not know what it's called. A 2.5 gal is probably one of those desktop tank kits so it's probably got an incandescent bulb which is next to useless for plants except for maybe very low light mosses and plants.

In addition, Sunlight is somewhat useless since I'm wagering your tank is neither outside or directly in front of a window. Besides a tank that gets direct sunlight can promote an algae bloom.

Here's a picture of the plant and the tank if that helps any?

image-854129505.jpg

image-1329268260.jpg

The plant looks like it's either Hornwort or Cabomba which I'm more inclined to think since Petco is where I got some Cabomba I used to have. The Petco guy threw it in with a Bamboo Shrimp so I really wasn't trying to maintain it. Assuming it's Cabomba, I kept mine in a 10gal with an incandescent bulb and it did ok. It lost a bunch of needles at first, but it did grow a bit later.

Hornwort's an OK low light plant, Cabomba is more of a moderate light plant. I know you want it to do well, but I'd say leave it for now and see how it does. Liquid ferts like seachem comprehensive should help it. Hopefully someone who's kept them can give you better advise.

It has lost a few needles on it, those names do sound familiar though. The guy told me the name of it but I just don't remember it. Thanks anyway!

Back
Top Bottom