looking for help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firsttime fisher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I am new to this site and got on here to try to help my fish survive. I started out with 5 and I have 1 left. The others were lost to ich. This silver Molly didn't end up getting it but had swollen eyes. I found advise on this site and added epsom salt for 3 days in a row. That cleared up and has been great for a couple of weeks. Swimming very actively, eating, I've been checking the water with test strips and it has been at all the safe levels. for the past few days now the poor fish can't hold its tail up. swims with just the head part and is completely vertical. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?? Next weekend I was going to get some more fish but now I want this one healthy first! Help!!!

ok so first before any more fish you need a LIQUID test kit. strips are the worst and totally innacurate. this molly could have swim bladder disease. try some peas to help. also how big is your tank?

Hey and welcome to AA :)
Allaboutfish is right, the test strips are a complete waste of cash. The liquid kits (most recommended is API's master kit) are more pricey but work out better value (both in monetary terms and fish health) in the long term. As for the peas, boil them and shell them and then just give a little, there should be no evidence of food after a minute. Remove any that is leftover so that it doesn't fester at the bottom.

My tank is 20 gallon. I thought maybe it was swim bladder disease after googling and I put 4 peas in the tank. How do you get fish to eat peas??

Thanks for the help!

the Molly wouldn't even look at the peas, I just took them out a couple day later but I am trying again. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom