Lots of platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishadvice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a fairly new tropical fish aquarium keeper and have just two adult platies now after being told when I bought them that they did not need heat but could live at 16 degrees C. The other ones got white spot and died which was distressing. But now I heat the tank, have a few plants and rocks and my two adults seem very happy and have just had about 30 babies. My female platy looks pregnant again. She's already produced three babies - now almost adults - prior to these 30 babies. So I've bought another tank (40 l size) which I have yet to set up.
Any advice on what to do about my very fertile female? My local shop is not interested in having the babies and I'm rather concerned that I shall soon be overwhelmed.:fish2::fish2:

Any advice on what to do about my very fertile female? My local shop is not interested in having the babies and I'm rather concerned that I shall soon be overwhelmed.:fish2::fish2:

Welcome to the Platy-Daddy Club! :dance:

I have the same problem: my original few platys turned out to be little sex machines -- my poor neons keep wondering how the neighborhood go so crowded! :eek:

Every so often, I catch those large enough (1 inch or more in size), bag them, and take them to my local FS as a donation. Sadly, he won't pay for them. At least they're getting a good home, though.

If I were you, I'd look for a store that accepts orphaned fish and take your adults to them. Then, as the young grow and mature, you can catch them and turn them in until you have only males.

As for the guy who told you platys do fine at 16-degrees celsius, I wouldn't take that idiot's advice ever again. :mad:

Welcome to AA & the joys of livebearers. My family enjoys the livebearers and their fry, along with Cory cats, and mystery snails .

Hi and welcome. I'm pretty new as well. I have a female platy who has given birth 3 times. Luckily the first 2 time were small, but this last one was pretty massive, close to 40. I've been told they can give birth around every 30 days and to my experience so far, thats true in my case. Good luck and I hope you can find a local store that will take them.

Thanks for your help and advice

Your advice is invaluable. I have found someone who keeps tropical fish who will take 10 of my babies and she knows someone else who may take some. Both fishkeepers who care and will look after them. Fish stores are very limited round here but I will try again to find a store that might take them - and knows how to look after them. Meanwhile, I've bought a bigger tank so I can distribute them between my two tanks.
Do you have any advice - anyone - about what to do during a power cut? We have a half-day planned power cut on Friday and I'm just worried about the oxygen supply to my tank. Temperature shouldn't be much of a problem but I'm worried about the filter not pumping.
:fish1:

You can periodically take a cup of water (or 5) out and pour it back in. The bubbles it creates add oxygen. Would also pour some in filter if you have a hob.

Last edited:
Do you have any advice - anyone - about what to do during a power cut? We have a half-day planned power cut on Friday and I'm just worried about the oxygen supply to my tank. Temperature shouldn't be much of a problem but I'm worried about the filter not pumping.

This is a bit late, but fishing supply stores and sporting goods stores will have inexpensive battery-powered aerators for bait buckets. Same principle as those sold in LFSs, but much less expensive.

How did the tank fare in the blackout, btw?

fish tank during blackout and algae

The fish were fine actually. I did the scooping of cups of water and pouring them back in but will certainly look at your advice now too.
thanks very much.
One other question for all you experts - I clean my tank regularly and do a 25% water change every week but I am still plagued with algae. I wipe it off about twice a week but some of it is now very stubborn and is difficult to remove. Any advice?
I'd be really grateful.

The fish were fine actually. I did the scooping of cups of water and pouring them back in but will certainly look at your advice now too.
thanks very much.
One other question for all you experts - I clean my tank regularly and do a 25% water change every week but I am still plagued with algae. I wipe it off about twice a week but some of it is now very stubborn and is difficult to remove. Any advice?
I'd be really grateful.

I would add snails :) They are good at cleaning the algae

Excess light is the #1 cause of algae. Reduce the amount of hours your lights are on or introduce a siesta period (ex. 4hrs on 4off 4on).
This is not always a quick fix, but usually will get rid of the problem. I've got around 60-100 baby snails in my 10 gallon tank with Oto's and I've still got algae because someone bumped my timer. Lol

Can also double dose excel which will act as an algacide.

Algae`

Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try. I'm a bit nervous about introducing snails as I read somewhere that they can get out of hand. Have you any advice on snails that would help me?
Thanks very much for all your help.

Nerite snails

Thanks very much. I'll get some. How many do you think I need for a 25l and a 40l tank? You are a mine of information and I really appreciate your advice.:thanks:

One to every 4-5 gallons I think is the standard I've heard. :)

BTW, I think you'd get more hits by continuing this thread is a more appropriate forum under the freshwater heading. Some people skip over the "introduction" threads.

Back
Top Bottom