Me, who I am, Yeah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I'd give an update on my tank. My Fantail got a bad case of swift blow to the head and flushed-itis. I made the switch to tropical and the current compliment is 5 white cloud minnows, 5 Neons, 10 cherry shrimp, 1 Golden apple snail and a Male Siamese fighter. They all seem happy!

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 53
Thought I'd give an update on my tank. My Fantail got a bad case of swift blow to the head and flushed-itis. I made the switch to tropical and the current compliment is 5 white cloud minnows, 5 Neons, 10 cherry shrimp, 1 Golden apple snail and a Male Siamese fighter. They all seem happy!

Man, this is a problem. That's overstocked for a 10 gallon. In this size a male betta with shrimp is good. Or 1 school. Not the betta, shrimp, and two schools

I'd keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and perform water changes as needed since this appeared to be a problem a few weeks ago. Also, switching the stock from a goldfish to an overstocked (IMO) tropical collection in less than two weeks is rather aggressive considering the tank does not appear to be completely cycled.
And I'm not here to lecture you about how to euthanize a fish but as for disposal, toilet flushing is generally not a good thing to do.

Hi Folks,

Well, I had a moment of inspiration and cut up my filter sponge into small chunks and replaced the activated charcoal bag with more small pieces of sponge so as to maximise the available surface area for the bacteria. This has worked wonders and the Ammonia levels are now zero. The Nitrites are still too high but I'm doing two 50% water changes dailly, morning and evening. I'm hoping the ecosystem will stabilise despite being overstocked but if it doesn't then I shall look into getting a larger tank.

Fresh2O, The swift blow to the head was more than sufficient to euthanise the fish instantaneously. I would never flush a live fish. Nasty way to go, in a sea of faeces, bleech and detergents.

_Skyla_, I'm sorry but considering the options available to me it seemed the responsible choice. I know no one who has a pond or a huge coldwater tank and I wouldn't want to stunt it's growth in a goldfish bowl as I have seen so many do. Hope I haven't offended you.

P.S. Anyone watch The West Wing? I've just been rewatching it recently. I'm seeing poor C.J. Creggs goldfish in a brand new light now that I own fish myself. Three inch fantail in about a ten litre bowl, ouch.

Here's a more recent photo. I can't believe the rate Bill (The golden apple snail) is growing at. Keeps eating all my plants.
Reginald (The betta) Is looking good too.:)

Attachments

• DSC_0141.jpg
    DSC_0141.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom