Member since may2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Advanced

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Cyberworld, I am just now posting because.. At the very beginning I didn't like how this page is set up.. Moving on. About me. I have had my first aquarium at age 8. My first fish was a molly. It was inside a big, giant aquarium along with my siblings fishes.

There was shark fishes, those fishes that stick to the glass...etc.. Well I don't know much of moat fish but I do know about guppies and mollies. Any live bearers and barely anything about egglayers. I wanted to know how to raise fish egg babies. But I have never had any. I only know about mollies, guppies and I do have a Cory in my aquarium... But..

Amazingly I still have him after many many months... I care for it just like the mollies but I do not know anything about it. I don't know how to tell the gender and I'm really not worried because I am not breeding it and.... If someone knows how to tell the gender that would be amazing and I have a feeling it's a girl. It has a spread out anal fin like my mollies.. But I could be wrong. It might be a male. And I just randomly give it genders.. Or call it and it. But if cory babies are fun and easy to raise, I am interested and plan to learn about it!! Hit me up and give me advice on female to male ratios for them. I only own one cory. And I'm very surprised its still alive. Very surprised.

Where can I buy corys in tucsonaz, and...I'd love to learn. Thank you. I also want to learn about their eggs. And their fry.. And whatever else i need to know/learn. Thank you again.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you really enjoy the fish and you will find many interesting things to learn about fish here.

Cories are fish which like to be in a group. After learning a bunch about them - there are seemingly a zillion choices for kinds of Cories, you should pick a kind and then get 6-8 minimum of them for a breeding group. I haven't ever got new babies myself as all my little guys live with hungry tank mates.

One thing would be to learn about tiny foods baby fish need and/or prefer to be healthy and grow well.

If you need to brush up on anything or just curious to learn more about keeping fish, there is a useful article in my signature which gives info and links to other helpful bits topics.

Edit: So the shape of the fish is helpful to be able to tell the sex. more arrowhead shape / triangular might be a female and more narrow or slender a male. It will be easier to compare while looking at a tank full of fish like at a local fish store. Or maybe online pics could be helpful.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Sorry just a correction, been a member since March not May. I looked at my previous questions i posted. I just never got to introduce myself. I never thought about it. But would help the people who were to help me in the future incase i dont give them specific details of what i already know. I have lots of experience with fry. I know that. I have had success and one fail. I did not know about ick for my first batch of fry.. Or my 3rd batch of fry. I have had many fry but as an adult i failed my first batch. I failed because i didnt know about ich and i didnt observe anything in my aquarium for ick. I just added fish after 2 weeks of cycling. At age 20. Now im 22. Im an intermediate with mollies/guppies. Never had a guppy. Only mollies and a cory and ill tell you right now, i do not know anything about any other fish. I have never had any other fish. But i have read some stuff. Thank you for reading.. Ill keep posting more about me. It will take lots of time... My life is tooooo long... And people dont like essays. Lol. Im trying not to do that to people.

I was 8 when i had fish. I had my first fry at 8. My first batch as an adult had ick.

As a seasoned fish keeper myself when first coming here with over double your years, I learned something which was the most important part of fish keeping and my life has been much better for it since. That is about Beneficial Bacteria aka BB and about how the nitrification cycle works. That was the best most useful piece of the puzzle.

But the most key point was not changing your filter pads until they fall apart (and I will add an additional pad -2 instead of just one for even more surface area for bb). And to not wash it off in tap water that has BB killing Chlorine and Chloramines, etc.

Also using Prime as a water conditioner and safety measure in an emergency.

I guess that is actually more than one thing but all some of the most important things.

Don't over feed, and keep water quality good and frequent and appropriate amount pwc.

The thing about Ich is it opportunistic. Stress, new fish, more feeding due to fry, not having enough BB to process water adequately (poor water quality). Always temperature match the water and err on the side of a degree warmer rather than cooler.

These things should help with care of tanks which will make the learning about new fish more fun, because when you get them, you will be better prepared for keeping them happy and well.

Learning about new fish, consider their size as adults and what conditions they prefer as well as if they are loners or prefer a shoal of buddies, etc. Selecting the right combination of tank inhabitants will provide a more contented life for you and the fish.

This is an awesome fun thread about Cories for you to look through
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/crazy-corys-anonymous-241499.html

Back
Top Bottom