Morning All....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnrsmum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am Kate ...

I have read a couple of threads on this forum and decided to join as it appears that people on here are very friendly and non critical of others misunderstanding when it comes to housing and set ups but instead it seems that you all seem to want to help ;)

I am fairly new to fish keeping (except for a goldfish I won at a fair which lived 17 years after my brother telling me it wouldn't survive the night so don't get too attached :brows: ) ..... I have been in the game 4 months ...... I still have loads to learn and I certainly am learning something new every day.

It started this time around with me thinking I would buy a fish for my son, was talked into tropical so I bought a starter 30 litre tank and was sold (by the same retailers) 1 pleco, 1 red tail and 5 neon 2 days later to put in it .... needless to say the poor neon died.................... I will admit I take part responsibility for there death and feel awful BUT the retailer really should have been more open with information.... anyway I have now found another reputable retailer :D

So having killed these poor neon I started reading, learning and understanding a little more about the science of it all. I now have also a 30 gallon tank that I picked up second-hand, it has been running for approx 8 weeks, it is planted and having run it as fish-less for the first 5 weeks I then moved my pleco over to finish the cycle.

In the meantime I got a huge snail infestation in my 30 litre tank and was advised that it would be ok to purchased 2 clown loach on the understanding that once the bigger tank was ready they would be moved into that.

So big tank cycled and ready I moved in the 2 Clown Loach and the red tail and all seems to be ok (ish)

The 2 loach have very different personalities, one is very bold and will happily be out and about and frolics with the red tail, they swim together and eat together (they occasionally have a tiff but mostly its harmonious) however the other loach is very timid, she hides away a lot and not only does the red tail chase her but also the other loach picks on her and I am a little worried that it will come to a not so pleasant end..... my question would be should I get another loach to hopefully pull the skool together ... also if I did this will the tank be big enough for at least the next three years ??

Also I would like to maybe get one or two more fish in teh tank (ones that dont hide so much :rolleyes: ) ..... firstly what could cope with my merry clan and would space become an issue in the next three years ..... (ssshhhhhhh dont tell the hubby but I plan to go bigger in a few years time :whistle: )

Also ... (sorry I know I waffle) ..... RE plants ....... can anyone shed some light (or maybe this is the issue) ... I have a low tech tank ...... my plants are growing and growing quite big however 2 of them although growing HUGE have a brown tinge to them like they are about to die. I fertilise them once a week and change the water 20 % once a week ....... I am wondering if I don't have the right kind of light in the tank ???? ....... I know you will ask what light do I have and I ...................... don't........................ know :facepalm: ... sorry !! .... What should I be looking at / for ??

OK I shall stop boring you now!!

:thanks: in advance for any advice :)

:welcome: to AA(y)

Yes LFS's don't always give you the best information, but it's great you took the needed steps for your fish.

I don't have clown loaches so hopefully someone else can comment ... however they do grow quite large and your tank will not work for them in the long term. I assume you mean a Red-tail Shark? If so they are aggressive and territorial, especially with fish that resemble them. For RTS a 55 Gallon with plenty of cave, plants and ornaments are recommended so it can establish territories.
That should help curtail aggression ... but no guarantees.

Which plants do you have and what type of lighting? Some low light plants would grow if there's enough light, however additional nutrients like seachem flourish and or root tabs (root feeders) are helpful.

Back
Top Bottom