Mosquitos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScruffyB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.

I am a new member to the forum having only just joined today. I am English but live in a beautiful rural part of Brittany. France where I have a holiday cottage that I rent out and also build live steam models, my latest being a half size Little Samson Traction Engine.

I also have an Osphrenemous Gorami of about sixteen years who has reached 24" long and lives in an 8ft x 2ft x 2ft tank containing 1.000ltrs of water and hundreds of mosquitos. The mossies' have been there for a few years but with it being so mild this winter I have more than normal and was wondering if a solution has been found to cull the little blighters. I do not see any lava in the tank and I doubt if Godfrey would be interested in eating such small prey, I just get them flying out at feeding time. I personally have no problems with being bitten by them (its the wife I have to watch, she is Welsh).

I have a 3.000 gall per hour pond pump and filter in the tank which has served well for 20 years so there is no danger of stagnant water.

Any ideas please:thanks:

ScruffyB

Most livebearers eat mosquito larvae, although they'd likely be eaten by your gourami.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I was thinking of mosquito netting but wondered if that was impractical. Other thought was could your pond pump ripple the water surface enough to make it unattractive to the mosquitos (if that would work, I assume they like still water).

Back
Top Bottom