musty odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:wave:Im new to fish keeping. I have started a 10 gallon tank. I used Cycle in it for the three days then let it sit for two before adding two zebra danios. Im now almost 2 weeks in and I noticed that my tank has a musty kinda earthy odor, just wondered if this was normal? Should I change water or is this nothing to worry about? My ph and amonia levels are fine. Any advice would be great :)

In my opinion, and experience, zebra danios are not to be kept in any tank smaller than a twenty. Thy are too active for a ten.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Have you done any water changes? That could clear things up

to small for tank

I didn't realize this till after I had put them in the tank ..But I will be putting them into a 29 gallon tank :)

Okay, that's good to hear. My six zebras are in a twenty nine gallon right now, with four cories. I'm still adding fish.

I'm sorry that I can't help with your problem.

Have you done any water changes? That could clear things up

Thanks :) I was thinking maybe I should do that but wasnt sure. How much water should I change? The water is clear, the first week was cloudy but now has totally cleared up.

Often, people report smelling that in a cycling tank. That would be my guess. Especially since you didn't cycle it. Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Okay, that's good to hear. My six zebras are in a twenty nine gallon right now, with four cories. I'm still adding fish.

I'm sorry that I can't help with your problem.

Thats ok :) I have since realized the people at my local fish store may not be the best to listen too. After reading threads on this site I have learned so much :)

I'd do like 20 or 30 percent if it cycling I'd do more depending on what your levels are at I no I had a ten and it had a musty smell when my nitrite levels were up and my nitrate were climbing I did like a 60 percent water change but used the water from my dads tank to replace it. You could give that a try

Often, people report smelling that in a cycling tank. That would be my guess. Especially since you didn't cycle it. Are you testing your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
My ammonia levels are normal. My local fish store will test for nitrites,nitrates when I bring in a sample tomorrow. Does a established tank have any odour?

lyndsy said:
My ammonia levels are normal. My local fish store will test for nitrites,nitrates when I bring in a sample tomorrow. Does a established tank have any odour?

I don't think so at least I've never notice any. In my experience

I'd do like 20 or 30 percent if it cycling I'd do more depending on what your levels are at I no I had a ten and it had a musty smell when my nitrite levels were up and my nitrate were climbing I did like a 60 percent water change but used the water from my dads tank to replace it. You could give that a try

ok I will try that, thanks so much for the help!

Yeah cycling tanks sometimes have that smell. I've also noticed if I go a while without a PWC on one of my well established tanks it gets a bit of a unique smell. Nothing you can smell without actually holding your nose close to the water and sniffing.

Yeah cycling tanks sometimes have that smell. I've also noticed if I go a while without a PWC on one of my well established tanks it gets a bit of a unique smell. Nothing you can smell without actually holding your nose close to the water and sniffing.

Ok so its not abnormal then lol What does PWC stand for?

Yeah, I just recently figured out what CUC means, clean up crew?, so I'm still learning too. I'm also too lazy to go check what abbreviations mean! Lol ;)

Yeah, I just recently figured out what CUC means, clean up crew?, so I'm still learning too. I'm also too lazy to go check what abbreviations mean! Lol ;)

I wouldnt of known that one either lol

Back
Top Bottom