my 2nd attempt at a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCrox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was like 8, and made one of those stupid ping-pong balls into a fish bowl. That little sucker lasted for like 2 years! That was my first attempt.

A little older now, and have a little more money hah. I was thinking about a FW tank at first, but after seeing the pictures of the reef tanks I can't talk myself out of it. I've been trying to find a LFS in Orange County but can't... Anyone know of any?

I'm sitting on a HOB filter, which I can still use, a heater that will work, and a pump that might not have a use... the gravel is useless, the UGF was a waste to begin with, oh well. All of this is attempting a FW cycle in my 20 gal right now.

I've read around on LS, LR, and all the other fun stuff that's going to be required to make this work. Since I only need 30 lbs of LR, and I think I could get away with just 10 lbs of LR and some patience, I'd hate to pay as much for the shipping as I would the LR from liverock.com, or liverocks.com... whichever it is. Add a few power heads and I think I'm close.

So that's where I'm at... in desperate need of a LFS in OC and still searching for a checklist of sorts that would show everything required for a full tank.

The idea is to get most of the pain and suffering out of the way on thie 20 gal so when I get the 100 I have something to seed it with. At least that's the plan at the moment, the more I read the more my plans change! :wink:

Oh yeah, Hello! And thanks for the great resource!!!

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll find lots of help here.
I wish a had the patience to start a saltwater tank......Maybe someday I will...

Hi, I'm new to this site too.
I was, a few years ago in the same spot you are now with starting up a salt tank. I thought it would be okay to get a little live rock and add more occassionally. It didn't work for me. a sea urchant and a starfish were hiding out in the rock and I enjoyed watching them grow. They ate up a lot of the limited life on the live rock. I didn't have enough competing corals so the tank slowly turned purple. I liked the purple but not just it and everywhere. I added had a few clownfish, a couple larger anemonies , shrimps and different algae.
i eventually took the tank down as it wasn't what I wanted and I couldn't at that time afford to get it.

I think I should have bought much more of the live rock to begin with. it would have made all the difference. I had great water quality but not the diversity I wanted.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Thanks for the input gardentoad, I'll keep that in mind when I get started!

Back
Top Bottom