My aquatic journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicosAquatics

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my name is Nico. I’ve been into aquatics for most of my life. Back in 2012, I made my first aquatic video on my YouTube channel “Dj Bootleg TV”. I had already set up a 20-gallon community tank when I got my first apartment. But I decided to do fish tank videos when I set up a 30-gallon tank with juvenile African Cichlids. Although I didn’t know much about Cichlids, I immediately fell in love with the breed.

When I was younger, I was really into fish tanks. It was one of my first obsessions. I had a number of tanks and really spent all of the little money I would have on them. It was like that for years. Then as I got older I started working, saving for a car, etc. and started focusing on other things. But when I got my first apartment I got back into the hobby, heavily. When I got those Cichlids, I fell back in love with aquatics.

I started to sell freshwater live plants online after establishing a following. I had two shop tanks going in my apartment with dirt soil substrate that I grew plants out of. I was a Florida registered freshwater aquatic nursery. I did that for about a year. I didn’t do it for money, I truly just enjoyed doing it.

For the next like four years, I continued to have tanks - at one point I had 12 going - and made videos several times a week. I was probably in the top 10 most-watched channels for freshwater fish tanks. Then I moved back home. I set up a 20-gallon community tank but wasn’t putting much into it. It was a healthy tank but wasn’t a beautiful tank like I’m known for.

Until about 3 months ago or so. I was laid off from my job due to closure. I was unemployed for a while. I decided to rescape the tank and put effort into it again. For a third time, I had found my love for the hobby again. Because of how long of a hiatus I took from YouTube, I had lost an aquatic following. I wanted to do tank videos again, so I started a new channel: “Nico’s Aquatics”.

So here we are. I’m back, making videos again. Basically starting from scratch as far as regaining a following. It’s going to take time, but this is something I’m passionate about. So I know it will come.

Back
Top Bottom