My first saltwater tank adventure :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I'm Bonnie! I have recently purchased a (used) 90 gallon "reef ready" aquarium along with two 19 gallon tanks (one sump/fuge, the other a frag...as they were used before) it came with all the plumbing, pumps, skimmer, power heads, and about 200lbs of dry rock. Needless to say I've been very excited to get it all up and running! I've had a 55 gal cichlid tank for about 2 years now, and thought I was up for this challenge. I don't know what confuses me more, the set-up of the sketchy plumbing or the fact that I have NO idea how to set up the protein skimmer lol. I have the tank up on the stand, all my sand has been added (about 160 lb of dry aragonite), and tonight I thought I'd "test" this sketchy plumbing. I added about 10 gallons of water to the sump, and plugged the motor in, all was well... until the 90 elbow about an inch below the bulkhead started leaking, I tried to tighten the hose clamp and... snap! :banghead: rusty and broken. So needless to say I will be re-plumbing the entire thing this week. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :) The way it WAS set-up was the overflow came down into tank #1 (i'm guessing was the frag tank) which has 2 pre-drilled holes with 90 elbows coming out which then in turn drained into tank #2 (sump/skimmer/refuge?) then pumped back up into the return. Wondering if the extra tank is worth the hassle as I won't be fragging any corals for a while, I want to make sure my DSB is up and running, rock is good and 'live' and tank is fully cycled before I even think about purchasing my clean up crew. And with this being my first tank and having absolutely zero experience (besides all of the research I've done online in the last 2 weeks) I want to make sure I've got everything figured out for the most part before I add any fish or coral.

Sorry for the long post :whistle: Anywho.. I'm looking forward to all the learning curves I have ahead and can't wait to see my tank blossom :fish2: Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom