My first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Cotton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there, just thought I'd join Aquarium Advice for a bit of, well, advice, on tropical freshwater fish. I have been wanting a fish tank for a while so I went and got a small 36litre starter. Currently planted with four nice plants, not quite sure of all the names but I have attached an anubius (?) to a cool bogwood archway. Currently I have a gravel-dirt substrate good for plant growth but I may add some white sand on top. At the moment my tank has been running for 4 days and I have just bought a group of mixed danios, two long-finned, two zebras and two leopards as I have been using denitrol and biotrol (I think?). I'll upload some photos tomorrow anyway. I'm thinking of definitely getting two cory cats, two dwarf gouramis, and a clown catfish and some red cherry shrimp to eat algae. Also I would like a small shoal of maybe 6 rummy noses, neons or guppies but I'm not sure, maybe two of those types. Anyway, it would be nice to see what you all think. :) By the way, thanks to dragonfish71 ( I think?) for inviting me to the intro forum.

Hey there, just thought I'd join Aquarium Advice for a bit of, well, advice, on tropical freshwater fish. I have been wanting a fish tank for a while so I went and got a small 36litre starter. Currently planted with four nice plants, not quite sure of all the names but I have attached an anubius (?) to a cool bogwood archway. Currently I have a gravel-dirt substrate good for plant growth but I may add some white sand on top. At the moment my tank has been running for 4 days and I have just bought a group of mixed danios, two long-finned, two zebras and two leopards as I have been using denitrol and biotrol (I think?). I'll upload some photos tomorrow anyway. I'm thinking of definitely getting two cory cats, two dwarf gouramis, and a clown catfish and some red cherry shrimp to eat algae. Also I would like a small shoal of maybe 6 rummy noses, neons or guppies but I'm not sure, maybe two of those types. Anyway, it would be nice to see what you all think. :) By the way, thanks to dragonfish71 ( I think?) for inviting me to the intro forum.

Hello and welcome to AA. you might have made the first mistake to fish keeping already :p I'm assuming that you didn't cycle your tank as 4 days is very fast. But don't worry you can do a fish-in cycle. Just keep an eye on them and keep on top of those pwc's :) also I know how tempting it is to fill your tank with as many fish as you can think of. And that was your second mistake. Danios should ideally be kept in small groups 5/6 of their own species, so 2 of each isnt really ideal. But don't worry everyone makes mistake and you've got a lot more to come yet trust me. :)

Now on to the good points, planted tank is a great start, I recently did my first tank to, I have anubias/java fern/marimo moss. And like you I also have some shrimp. Your substrate is good. But find out which plants you have because like the anubias not all plants like being in substrate.

Now for the things you might want to consider before moving forward: with corys you need a nice group for them to feel safe. Otherwise if you only had 2 you wouldn't see very much of them they would spend 90% of their time hiding away.

When you say clown catfish, what I think your referring to is a clown loach, which grow far too big for a 36L tank unfortunately :(

Dwarf gourami are a beautiful fish but are very shy and can become aggressive and territorial if you get 2 males, I was going to get these but instead opted for a pair of golden honey gouramis which grow slightly smaller (2") and are less aggressive. Alternatively just 1 dwarf is a safer bet.

A school of male guppies would be nice but I would only recommend getting 3 because of your tank size it limits your stocking options. Get males because they are the more colourful and probably what you will want. They are fine alone or in groups. Very peaceful community fish.

As for shrimp they need a nice established tank and are very sensitive to copper medications and things, they also need plenty of hiding places and some type of moss is highly recommended but I would wait at least 4 weeks before adding shrimp.

If you want to see what your options are with numbers and types of fish try using http://www.aqadvisor.com/ that's what I used and make sure you research any fish before you buy them.

Happy fish keeping I hope this helps :)

Thanks, my local aquatics centre said I was ok to have some danios so soon as they are highly resistant to nitrates and I have been using denitrol for faster stocking. Also I am sure that there were some small clown catfish at the store, they are inactive but eat algae. Anyway, thank you for all the advice ( I was thinking of a pair if dwarf gouramis, that ok?) I'll take it on board. I have now found out that the clown catfish was named wrong and is actually a clown pleco, a type of dwarf pleco perfect for 10 gallon tanks.

Ok :) a small clown pleco would be ok, just be careful he doesn't eat all your plants :p they have been known to I'm the past.

Also a pair of dwarf gouramis might be too much for a 10g because of the territory issues. BUT if you can get a pair of young juveniles and raise them together you might have better luck but you might still have to rehome one if they fight.

Ok but I was told that a male and a female would be ok so I think I'll still get them. What are your thoughts on rummynose tetras?

Ok but I was told that a male and a female would be ok so I think I'll still get them. What are your thoughts on rummynose tetras?

The females are very plain just incase you didn't know :) and I don't think you will have space for a group of rummys :( what's your definite stock at the moment?

I do know, and I think 5 or 6 rummies would be fine. So definite stock will be 6 danios, 2 cory cats, 1 clown pleco, a pair of red cherry shrimp, 3 male guppies, a pair of dwarf gouramis and 5 rummies

I do know, and I think 5 or 6 rummies would be fine. So definite stock will be 6 danios, 2 cory cats, 1 clown pleco, a pair of red cherry shrimp, 3 male guppies, a pair of dwarf gouramis and 5 rummies

You need at least 5 corys. And I would recommend more than 2 RCS. :)

Sorry but would it be possible to explain why as 2 corries were recommended in a 36 litre. Also I'm sure having two shrimp will be ok. I'm going to add some java moss or rica flutens (?) to encourage possible breeding as well. I know shrimp don't contribute much to the stock density but I don't really want too many, and if I have more corries I would be worried about overstocking.

Boring? I dont know, i guess like the words fair and kind alittle too much.

Maybe i didnt make myself clear. I didnt mean you couldnt keep anything but pygmy corys, i ment only pygmy corys are suitable corys for a 38l tank.

Sorry but would it be possible to explain why as 2 corries were recommended in a 36 litre. Also I'm sure having two shrimp will be ok. I'm going to add some java moss or rica flutens (?) to encourage possible breeding as well. I know shrimp don't contribute much to the stock density but I don't really want too many, and if I have more corries I would be worried about overstocking.

If your worried about over stocking skip the pleco, skip the rummys, the chances of getting a pair of breeding shrimp are very slim so you might as well skip those to. Your tank is small and your trying to add too many fish. Ignore what the lfs tells you they need sales. Do your own research and listen to the advice people give you here. We are all trying to help.

You can have lots more fish than that in a 36 litre and they can still be happy

Your looking to add around 20 fish to a 36L and its too many. Your tank is slightly under 10G (us) you can't put corys/catfish/shrimp/tetras/danios/gouramis in a 10g and keep them happy. They need numbers and space.

Edit:: I have a 70L tank with:

2 golden honey gourami (smaller than dwarfs)
6 neon tetras
3 guppies
3 harlequins
And some RCS.

That tank is at 90% stocking level. And will be 102% once I add 3 more harlequins.

My tank is 2x the size of yours and you want more fish than me. You came here for advice, it might not be what you wanted to hear but that does t make it wrong.

I personally wouldn't keep many fish in a tank, and considering their adult sizes.

I want my fish to swim around happily.
It's like choosing a house over an apartment. Maybe you can get another tank set up. That's what I am saving for=)

My 20 gallon is stocked with:
6 harliquin rasbora.
6 pristella tetra.
5 amano shrimp.

Its been this way for a year now and i definitely wont be adding anymore fish.

Your looking to add around 20 fish to a 36L and its too many. Your tank is slightly under 10G (us) you can't put corys/catfish/shrimp/tetras/danios/gouramis in a 10g and keep them happy. They need numbers and space.

Edit:: I have a 70L tank with:

2 golden honey gourami (smaller than dwarfs)
6 neon tetras
3 guppies
3 harlequins
And some RCS.

That tank is at 90% stocking level. And will be 102% once I add 3 more harlequins.

My tank is 2x the size of yours and you want more fish than me. You came here for advice, it might not be what you wanted to hear but that does t make it wrong.

Agree whole hartedly

You can have lots more fish than that in a 36 litre and they can still be happy

Seriuosly have you done any research? How would you like to be sharing your bedroom and bathroom with 15 other people? I know i wouldnt.

Back
Top Bottom