My first tank and loving it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddonaldson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I bought my first tank just over 4 weeks ago and I think it is doing well. I have a 125 litre tank which I set up for 2 weeks before adding fish. I asked the owner of our local pet shop for advice on fish or fish less cycling and he recommended cycling with fish. I bought 6 long fined zebra danios and they are gorgeous. He recommended a good water testing kit which I use every 2 days then complete my 10% water change. I also use Nurafin cycle.

My fish seem happy, look healthy and are feeding well. I do get worried when they chase each other but a search on google says this is their nature. Is this correct?

I am really looking forward to getting more fish but am being patient.

Behavior is normal for danios. They are like little race cars and love playing chase. In a cycling tank, water changes are the most important thing. Keep a close watch on ammonia levels as ammonia is toxic to fish. look for an ammonia spike over the next several weeks, this is a sign that your tank is beginning to cycle. Try not to add chemicals, but do water changes instead. The addition of an airstone will be most beneficial as O2 levels drop with increasing NH3/4 levels. Keep a journal of your water changes and water perameters and it will be obvious where the problems are. 90% of new aquarium problems can be remedied with water changes. look at small daily water changes, and a 50% water change once every other week.
Good Luck!......Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom