My fish story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shinygrape

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a movie producer and festival director, so I only know people and talk to people about movies, festivals, actors, and the like. I love it, but I have very few freshwater fish friends, and the guys at the pet store don't know what they're talking about. One of my friends just got a job at the Camden ("Adventure") Aquarium, which is exciting, so she's getting crash course in fish!

I got into freshwater fish when I was a kid - I was begging my mom for a sheep (no kidding. I saw one at the 4-H fair and I wanted one). My mom compromised and bought me 10 feeder fish for $1, which she placed into one of those giant 1 gallon glass pickle jars. Needless to say, they died in a week. Sure, I cried like [moderator edit]wento the book mobile and checked out every fish book they had so I could figure out what was wrong.

My family was poor growing up, so my mom couldn't buy me a "proper" fishtank. I decided to save up nickles and dimes on the street so I could afford one someday, and in the meantime, I drew fish and took out more and more fish books from the library. Eventually, I was able to buy a 1 gallon tank with a "bubbler" and a betta (named Wanda. Of course). I had that thing until it died of old age in college.

I ended up studying marine biology, but had a complete panic attack while trying to tread water in the pool. My mom brought me up to be afraid of a LOT of stuff - water, dogs, people, etc. Took YEARS to get over the social anxiety and dogs, but the water still stands.

Throughout college, I was the person people called when they had a fish problem. Everyone's joke was that they should shine a picture of a fish out the window ala "Batsignal" and I would come runnin'. Once, a classmate called and cried, "Help, my fancy goldfish is swimming upside down and backwards!" There I was, 2 a.m. in the middle of center city Philadelphia, begging the security guard at my school to let me into the dorm so I could feed a fish some frozen peas (PS: It really works with swim bladder problems!)

These days, almost everyone I know is *really, really* into dogs and cats. They're cute and all, but I just like fish better, and most animals, including dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, and guinea pigs, cause me major eye allergies. Even some reptiles cause me to break out in a weird rash. This has become a major social issue since I'm always the one who's invited to parties with the disclaimed, "Oh, well...just so you know, we have a dog...is that gonna be a PROBLEM?" I would like to meet other fish people like myself who just don't connect with dogs and cats so I don't feel so freakin' guilty all the time talking about how excited I am that I had my first batch of platy fry this week. :)

http://www.facebook.com/stephanieyuhas

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom