my sick goldfish help urgent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joseduardo97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey i had a ten gallon aquarium for 2 years and my my have live happy and healthy i have 1 common goldfish and 2 fantail goldfish so heres the thing, i recently moved so on the way to my new house my tank broke so i had to buy a new one and new gravel so i setted up i put the new tank the and gravel and old decorations ols plants and old filter and i putted my three fish and the water but i didnt use any neutralizing chemical just the new water and the fish but in less than the week the water looked dirty i didnt know why the filter was runnin and aquatech 10 gallon filter that came with the starter kit then on day when i was goin to feed them i see one of the fantail goldfish lying upside down but alive but with and ick so i inmediatly took em to the pet store they said that my fish wasnt going to last even a day but now is the last day of the tetra lifeguard all in one treatment tablets that they gave me and i bought a marineland penguin 30 gallon filter a tap water neutralizer and the lifeguard treatment but today is the last day and the fish is still alive!!! ive seen improvement, the water color is still dirty since in the instructions i red that i had to turn my carbon filter off so WHAT DO I DO? tomorrow they told me yo make a partial water change and add the neutralizer but the thing is that i can still see the white ick and i dont know what to do i wonder if i leave like that it would andvance and kill kim :( another thing why did he got infected and ther other ones didnt? so im not going to be able to watch so i wanna leave them clean and healthy so that my mom can just feed them cause i have to stay in my other home for 2 months so what do i do please i dont want my fish to die hepl me!!

Attachments

• PICT0064.jpg
    PICT0064.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 286
  • PICT0067.jpg
    PICT0067.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 251
  • PICT0071.jpg
    PICT0071.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 194
so I have read that when your fish gets sick like this, with Ick, you do a partial water change daily, so you keep cleaning and diluting that dirty water, put aquarium salt in there, let them get used to it, so do half a spoon full one day and then another one the next (for a ten gallon tank) it is one table spoon for every ten gallons. not regular salt, aquarium salt, it heals ick and reduces stress. you should also put some jungle 'Start right" conditioner in the water is what I use. It helps them heal wounds, gives them a protective slime coat, conditions the water getting rid of heavy metals and chlorine

they didt told that i had to change it daily r,r do i put water even if its the last day of the treatment and they are goldfish? and i only have topfin tap water dechlorinator is it good? please give me detailed information of what to do from this instant please!

top fin is a good brand to use. they make sure everything is safe for the fishies. yes put water in. when you do daily water changes, try to have the water your putting in the same temp as the water that is already in there. do you have testing strips to see if anything is off? use the aquarium salt for sure, and make sure it is aquarium salt

Welcome to AA!
Ich is brought on by stress. It has to be in the tank for the fish to get it and once it's gone, it's wont come back unless reintroduced (usually by a new fish). To cure ich naturally on goldfish you use salt. You need 0.3% salt in the tank. So that's 3 grams per 1000mg or mL or 1 litre.
10 gallons is approximately 40 litres. So 40 x 3 = 120g of salt. Sounds confusing I know :)
So what you need to do is get 120g of aquarium salt and dissolve it into a container of tank water. Add 1/4 of the solution every 12 hours until all the salt is in the tank. By doing it slowly it allows the fish to ajust to the salt concentration.
Change the water and gravel vacuum every 2-3 days or more often if needed. When doing a water change you need to replace salt. Salt is only removed by doing a water change. If you do a 50% water change you are removing half the salt so half a dose needs to be added back in - 60grams.
Do you own a test kit and know about the nitrogen cycle?
Here is some important reading for you.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Now I have some bad news for you. Fancy goldfish (double tail) require 20g for the first fish and 10g for each fish after that. Pond fish, such as commons and comets, require 50g each but a pond would be better. The reason being is fancy goldfish should reach 6-12 inches long and pond goldfish should reach 12-18 inches long. Koi can reach 3 foot long. Because your three Goldies have been in a small tank for two years they will be stunted. Stunting happens when fish are kept in small tanks with poor water conditions. Their growth slows or comes to a complete standstill. It's not very healthy for the fish. It can cause enlarged eyes fins and sometimes organs, deformities, lower immune system letting disease take hold and in extreme cases bent spines and death. There is never a full recovery from stunting but, if the tank is upgraded and the waters kept clean, they can continue to grow and recover. They will never reach their full potential but can have a better life. I have 3 rescued goldfish and they have almost doubled in size in 6 months after one lost eye site in one eye and the other battled septicemia (blood infection) for 2 months.

image-4032811817.jpg

Growth chart.

What is your water temp. now and do you have a heater?

When you prepare your water for the water change, please mix the declorinator at the amount to remove Chloramines too. Some times it is appx. twice the amount for Chlorine/ammonia alone, most of our water also has Chloramines in it. The chemicals in the water burn and damage the gills the fish use to breathe and they can't function as well as they should. And also heavy metals and other things in the water can harm them.

BTW for the aquarium salt, is pure salt, no iodine, no anti-caking agents, no additives. I use canning salt and sea salt, sometimes Kosher, for ingredients there will none other then salt.

Recommend 20% water change each day for 5 days with 1 Tablespoon of salt for 10 gallons, water
Then 20% water change each day for day 5-10 only 1 tsp for 10 gallons.

Goldfish do not require salt, but it helps them produce mucus / slime coat. I have used that and mine are in good condition.

You should turn your filter back on after the medication treatment is complete.

I hope your mother understands this takes some extra time but is best for the fish.

Make sure the water is the same temperature as the water they are in or a tiny bit warmer, 1 degree maybe 2, that is why you need a thermometer. Mix your aquarium salt into the water and dissolve the salt.

Moving and having a broken aquarium is stressful but all new rocks and filter is where the beneficial bacteria grow which help your fish have better water quality. So it is amazing the fish are still alive.

Water temperature is important to speed up the life cycle of Ick, It is recommended to raise the temperature 2-3 of degrees a day til you get to 78 degrees. Then after the is no longer seen for a few days, reduce the temp. 2-3 degrees a day to the recommended warmth for your fish Gold fish are "cold" water which really means cool water is good 72-74 degrees.

Also since you said you didn't originally treat the water in your tank, you should add additional declorinator to the tank water enough to treat for heavy metals, etc, in case you didn't use enough to neutralize that

The salt helps with goldfish to build a slime coat on their bodies, which helps keep them healthy and helps immunity.

The amount of salt is more when sick than during healthy times, 1 tablespoon when sick for 10 gal, but only 1 teaspoon for 10 gallons if healthy. This is to be added during water changes. If your water evaporates and you are filling it back up, the same amount of salt stays in the water, and is not removed unless you take it out. Salt does not evaporate.

^^^ I have to disagree with you about the amount of salt. No freshwater fish needs salt while heathy. 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 or even 5g of water isn't enough to treat ich on goldfish. High temperatures only can be used to treat ich on tropical fish. To get to the required temperature to kill ich (86F+) the goldfish would be too stressed. 1 tablespoon of salt per 5gallons is about 0.18% salt - not enough to kill ich.

What you say makes sense. I have not personally used the salt only method. My understanding is a little salt for Koi and Goldfish a is beneficial additive. They do not need it for survival, and if healthy the point may be moot.

The way I see it tap water is not like our bodies, the Dr.'s add saline solution for IV, also eye drops, nose spray because tap water is not close enough to our natural bodies/make up. I guess fish too, a little salt makes it more "natural".

This post is for sick fish and I have to defer to your expertise for a salt treatment. There has already been a course broad spectrum remedy, which the are still Ick visible, not completed the growth process, Salt remedy sounds like a good choice.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom