Mystery Snail Shell Cracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haydeno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought 2 mystery snails about a week and a half ago without doing all the research. Only made sure they could live in the tank conditions and that they’d keep the tank clean. One is yellow and the other light blue. I know they won’t live too long but they’re just to keep the tank clean while my clown plecostomus is a half inch to one inch timid baby. The yellow one settled in quick and is adventurous and eats like a machine so I thought the blue one would too. He stopped moving for 2 days and I thought he was just sleeping so I left him alone and after those 2 days he’d still been in the exact same spot with his worm looking parts and foot hanging slightly out the shell so I thought he’d died. Pretty much tossed him out then did research so that the other wouldn’t die and quickly found out he was just sleeping and that they’ll do that for days on end. Found him and got him back in the tank safely but his shell cracked. Anyone better qualified on snails have advice like if he’d live or if it’ll heal? Or anything I can do to help him? Can’t see the full crack but the second picture is similar. No holes or dents in its shell. Also ik the moss ball and tank is a lil dirty. Tank went to crap after my first plecostomus died but it’s stabilized and the filter/fish are cleaning it fast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 1EE57E3A-BF85-453A-82C5-65DD8AB404E5.jpeg
    1EE57E3A-BF85-453A-82C5-65DD8AB404E5.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 38
Calcium. Snails need calcium. Drop a Tums in the tank and let it dissolve. For long term, simple cuttle bone will work from your pet store. Don't need much, 1/3 cuttle bone at a time will be fine. Drop it in and it will sink in about 2 weeks, or jam it into the substrate.

Also feed lots of calcium foods spinach and kale are good, hikari crab cuisine is great for them as well

Thank y’all a lot. Kept an eye on him and he seems to be doing fine. The shell isn’t cracking more or anything. I’ll make sure to get food so that they’ll both keep a strong and healthy shell

Back
Top Bottom