Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Mystery Snail Shell Cracked

I bought 2 mystery snails about a week and a half ago without doing all the research. Only made sure they could live in the tank conditions and that they’d keep the tank clean. One is yellow and the other light blue. I know they won’t live too long but they’re just to keep the tank clean while my clown plecostomus is a half inch to one inch timid baby. The yellow one settled in quick and is adventurous and eats like a machine so I thought the blue one would too. He stopped moving for 2 days and I thought he was just sleeping so I left him alone and after those 2 days he’d still been in the exact same spot with his worm looking parts and foot hanging slightly out the shell so I thought he’d died. Pretty much tossed him out then did research so that the other wouldn’t die and quickly found out he was just sleeping and that they’ll do that for days on end. Found him and got him back in the tank safely but his shell cracked. Anyone better qualified on snails have advice like if he’d live or if it’ll heal? Or anything I can do to help him? Can’t see the full crack but the second picture is similar. No holes or dents in its shell. Also ik the moss ball and tank is a lil dirty. Tank went to crap after my first plecostomus died but it’s stabilized and the filter/fish are cleaning it fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	317317   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EE57E3A-BF85-453A-82C5-65DD8AB404E5.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	317318  

Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Calcium. Snails need calcium. Drop a Tums in the tank and let it dissolve. For long term, simple cuttle bone will work from your pet store. Don't need much, 1/3 cuttle bone at a time will be fine. Drop it in and it will sink in about 2 weeks, or jam it into the substrate.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also feed lots of calcium foods spinach and kale are good, hikari crab cuisine is great for them as well
Old 07-08-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank y’all a lot. Kept an eye on him and he seems to be doing fine. The shell isn’t cracking more or anything. I’ll make sure to get food so that they’ll both keep a strong and healthy shell

Tags
mystery, mystery snail, snail, crack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com