n00bie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donkey26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone... I'm a new member here. I just recieve a 70 gallon tank from a friend.. it was used as a saltwater tank.. he upgraded to a larger one so he gave it to me to clear room.. Well, my son LOVES the movie, "Finding Nemo" so I'm planning on running a setup close to that... so some of the fishes from the movie.. Thanks!!

Hi. Welcome to the forum!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can't keep the majority of the fish from the movie in just a 70g tank. Dory and the yellow tang fish need a 6 foot tank. Nemos are good though. :) And lots of other fish can also go in that size tank.

I havent actually sat through the whole movie so I don't know all the characters and names. You can also keep the shrimp too. LOL

Wish i could be more helpful.....

thanks everyone.. i just got done reading that... hehe.. i know after doing some research i can't have dory(blue tang).. i'll get buy w/o..

Ijust got a dory and all she does is hide, And swim really really fast when I try to look at her. Very shy fish anyways. And very sensitive.

Yep, Hippos need a 125g. When I bought my 55g a Hippo came with it. She has been doing well since I got her, but she is very active. I plan on upgrading to a bigger tank for the hippo soon. Good luck with your Nemo tank!

ty... but do you think i should start with a freshwater tank before a saltwater tank?

right now i'm just doing alot of research... nothing is set up yet.. the tank is washed and ready when i'm ready..

:welcome: to AA! :)
donkey26 said:
ty... but do you think i should start with a freshwater tank before a saltwater tank?

right now i'm just doing alot of research... nothing is set up yet.. the tank is washed and ready when i'm ready..

Yes, I recommend trying freshwater first before taking the plunge into saltwater. Freshwater is usually cheaper, easier and much more low maintenance than saltwater. I've had freshwater and am still hesitant to take the plunge into saltwater, mainly because of the price tags on both the equipment and fish or inverts.

I honestly don't think you NEED to go FW first. The main reason people tend to say this hobby is difficult is because it can be more expensive. But with the money you'll spend setting up a FW, you'll already be setting yourself back. I would just use that money to buy everything SW off the bat. Saltwater is not difficult. It is expensive and time consuming, but ultimately, fulfilling.

They're two diffirent worlds. I cannot say that I practice any of the things I did on my FW tanks, on my SW ones. If the money, time commitment and knowledge is there, I'd say take the plunge into SW.

umm... both of you guys are right in it's ways... i'm a little torn... i got time.. and money... (not alot).. but enough to get it going in ether one... the price tag is VERY different.. but finding stuff online is way cheaper than what they go for here in Denver.. some shops here tells you one thing and the other tells you another.. to tell you the truth.. its like buying a turbo.. different types and all.. but which one will be fit my needs.. so here i am.. i find it easier to talk to peepz online cuz there so much information on here.. so.. i'll take both of your advice into consideration.. well.. everyones.. and we'll see when i go from there

Just research and use your resources wisely. In the month it takes to get your tank cycled (rough estimate, I know it can be shorter or longer) you can get a wealth of knowledge. Ultimately, it just comes down to whatever you feel like doing. If I were in your shoes, I'd dive in and explore the possabilities under the sea. (and I did)

I would say the defining thought is what YOU want. If you always wanted a sw tank and you've got the means and patience for it then you should do it. But if you just want to start fishkeeping then maybe the FW tank is your best bet. Freshwater isnt quite as expensive and can be challenging too depending on what you keep. Also, if you get a large enough tank it can easily be converted over. You'll just need a few different things to buy. You can even run a sump on FW tanks too so you could start off with that in FW. You can also use a canister filter for saltwater too, I have and with great success.

It really comes down to what you personally want. Either way this forum is a great way to make fish buddies and the information is plentiful on either side.

How big of a tank were you looking at buying? That can determine alot too. If you only have room for a 55g say, then you might wanna start with FW. I think a 55g is a good starting point on sw tanks in my opinion as every drop of water you have makes the system more stable. :)

got a 70g...(free) will put up a list of fish i'm looking to get and maybe you guys can see if they'll be good together... -=]

i got a desent size house... got a extra bedroom that i might turn into a fish room... i'm getting into this cuz i need a new hobby.. racing cars was my thing for a VERY long time but it's time to move on.. starting a family so i need something i can do at home.. hehehe.. stupid as it sounds... i rather spend time at home messing with fish stuff with my kids then be in the garage and track w/o my family..

btw... does it matter the size of sump i get for the 70g?

carey... wanna be my friend? hehe -=]

got a 70g...(free) will put up a list of fish i'm looking to get and maybe you guys can see if they'll be good together... -=]

i got a desent size house... got a extra bedroom that i might turn into a fish room... i'm getting into this cuz i need a new hobby.. racing cars was my thing for a VERY long time but it's time to move on.. starting a family so i need something i can do at home.. hehehe.. stupid as it sounds... i rather spend time at home messing with fish stuff with my kids then be in the garage and track w/o my family..

I know exactly what you mean. I used to be into cars as well, dumped about 60k into my mitsubishi vr4 race car. It was fun while it lasted but compared to fishkeeping this is much less expensive and easier. At least to me...

ok... set up is now a freshwater tank... not what i wanted but then i need something until i can get a 125g+ for my sw... so this will do for now...

Back
Top Bottom