Need advice - stocking a 3 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome!
Not much is suitable for a 3G tank. You are pretty much limited to a Betta, shrimp, snails, 2 male guppies or maybe some nano fish would be suitable.
I'd the tank cycled??
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I think so... See the thing is the folks at the pet shop recommended two mollies and two platys and to expect the ammonia levels to spike before the cycle is over. Also they said to avoid changing the water for two weeks and just use water conditioner until the cycle was done. Well after two weeks all my fish died. I think I got some bad advice and after doing some research I realizes where I made my mistakes.

So I guess my prolonged response is should I clean the tank or just use new water, also I have pretty hard water from the tap so should I use bottled water instead.

Mgonza11 said:
I think so... See the thing is the folks at the pet shop recommended two mollies and two platys and to expect the ammonia levels to spike before the cycle is over. Also they said to avoid changing the water for two weeks and just use water conditioner until the cycle was done. Well after two weeks all my fish died. I think I got some bad advice and after doing some research I realizes where I made my mistakes.

So I guess my prolonged response is should I clean the tank or just use new water, also I have pretty hard water from the tap so should I use bottled water instead.

Yes very bad advise! Not changing the water allowed the ammonia to reach a deadly level. I would clean the tank and start over. Hard water is no problem. I have hard water and have 8 tanks full of tropicals and goldfish. :) as long as your water is from the same source the fish will become adapted to it.
Read the link above and decide if you want to do a fishless or a fish-in cycle on your tank. There is info on both.

Thanks a bunch. I read the thread and I think I will do an in fish cycle. I have been looking at some websites and found that three or four tiger barbs would be a good hardy fish for a small tank. Is this true?

Mgonza11 said:
Thanks a bunch. I read the thread and I think I will do an in fish cycle. I have been looking at some websites and found that three or four tiger barbs would be a good hardy fish for a small tank. Is this true?

No! Sorry, tiger barbs are not suitable for a 3g tank. they need at least a 20g long but bigger is better.

Cool, can you recommend a species of nano fish hardy enough through the cycle and how many would be ideal?

Hello. Welcome to the site!
Like Mumma said, there are not too many options for a 3g tank. Sorry to tell you that tiger barbs won't work out in there long term.
A couple options I suggest you look into are a single betta fish (there are more species of betta besides the bettas you always see in cups), or a couple of least killifish. MAYBE a pygmy sunfish pair. A betta is going to be the easiest fish to get though, the others you would likely have to order online. 3g is on the smaller side of acceptable bettas tanks IMO, so I suggest a female betta. There are some awesome colorful ones out there though. They have really fun personalities. :)

Welcome to AA! I wouldnt put more than a betta and maybe a couple ghost or cherry shrimp in that size tank and, depending on which one you get, that may be small. A standard delta, dragonscale, veil tail or crowntail would be fine. I wouldnt put one of the great big ones in it (I think they are called king bettas). If you put a couple shrimp in the betta will certainly eat any hatchlings they produce (free food).

Thanks for all the help everyone, I decided to go with a couple of guppies.

Back
Top Bottom