Need advise on WC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need advice on WC

Hello All,

I'm a newbie and I need advice on Aquasafe and EasyBalance from Tetra. I'm doing water changes daily because my 20 gal is cycling with fish (I now know that is very bad :facepalm:) and I'm still fighting ammonia. When I'm changing 10-20% of the water do I add enough of the above chemicals for the whole tank or the amount of water I'm changing?

Welcome to AA! You're in the right place. :) I'd say add chemicals for the water you're replacing, not the whole tank.

Do you think it's problem that I've been putting in enough for the whole tank?

Do you think it's problem that I've been putting in enough for the whole tank?

No, I have always put it in for the whole tank after water changes and have never had any problems.

You know, maybe my advice is wrong. I guess I've always just added two drops of Prime in each gallon I replace. I only treat the water that's being added.

Welcome to the forum, Your fine. You don't need both. Just use the water conditioner, I use Prime.

Do your water changes and dose accordingly, I've always dosed for entire tank but you don't have to. You'll be just fine dosing for what your adding.

IMO less is more. JUst keep testing and doing your water changes and you'll get through the fish in cycle, it's not as taboo as you may think.

Thank you all for your advice. It's been a long hard road so far. We started out with a 5 gal tank and 5 fish at Christmas for my 3 year old. The guy at the pet store was not forth coming with information and told us that putting that many fish right in was fine. What a jerk! We ended up with two died fish, an extremely cloudy tank and lots of late nights of research to figure out that I did everything wrong. Luckily I had bought a bigger tank and had it running when the filter completely died on the small tank, so I could put my fish friends in there. They are doing much better now. This is really nerve racking. I wish I had been told to set up my tank well in advance of putting in fish. I hate feeling like I'm not a good pet parent. I'm really glad I found this site. I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Back
Top Bottom