Need help, advice, ideas, for setting up a new 60 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsmeagain420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had aquariums in the past. Nothing this big (60 Gal) Always wanted one, seen a Marineland tank stand/hood/combo on sale at petsmart and here I am. Any help, advice, or links to sites containing information for setting up a tank of this size from scratch for the first time would go aloooong way!!!

Had aquariums in the past. Nothing this big (60 Gal) Always wanted one, seen a Marineland tank stand/hood/combo on sale at petsmart and here I am. Any help, advice, or links to sites containing information for setting up a tank of this size from scratch for the first time would go aloooong way!!!

Welcome to AA!!! I actually just got the same EXACT tank I think from Petsmart, I got it for like $260 (except I replaced the hood/lights). I'm interested in seeing how your turns out.

Are you looking to do a planted tank?

First things first, pick out a filter. I reccomend Aquaclear filters, if you want a hang on back filter (the Aquaclear 110 for a 60 gallon). And a Fluval 305 canister filter if you want to get an expensive filter.
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters

Next, you'll need some substrate :). Theres basically two types: Sand and gravel. I like the look of sand better than gravel, but thats just me. You'll need about 50-60 lbs of this.

Pick out a heater. I like the Aqueon Pro heaters the best because they arent glass and will not break as easily.
Aqueon Pro Heater | Aquarium Heaters at DrsFosterSmith.com

Now, pick out all your decorations and things you want in your tank. Driftwood, fake plants, little ceramic things. Whatever.

And then theres cycling. You need to cycle your new aquarium to make it safe for fish. Here is an awesome thread to tell you all about it http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

If you would like to plant your tank with real plants, you'll probably want to replace the stock t8 lights for some t5s, but I won't get into that unless you want live plants.

Anyway, WELCOME!

Welcome to AA. The design and setup is really based on what you are looking to achieve, i.e. planted or not, fish type (temp, water, decorations) etc, etc. What were you hoping to do with the tank? Are there any particular fish or inverts you were interested in?

Back
Top Bottom