Need help with stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi my name is Kim. I just got a 125 gallon aquarium, I have one Oscar and to convex and a algae eater. I would like to add two more Oscars and one more convict is that too many?

I would personally not add more than one O. My 150 gal is peaceful with about 18 different types of cichlids. My list is.
Oscar
Convict
Starry Night
Cacquetea
Giraffe Hap
Tomato Hap
Synspillum
Green Texas
Red Tiger Mont. -SUPER COOL
Harweigi cichlid
Ect- i reccomend looking at a private LFS (not petsmart or petco) they sell some really cool south american cichlids that would live with your O.

Is it better to add more fish before or after a water change?

Kim
Congratulations on getting your new 125 gal. Tank. Before adding a lot of fish be certain your tank has completely cycled. As for keeping multiple Oscars in your tank, you do have plenty of room, but you would be surprised how small your big tank will look with 3 full grown Oscars swimming in it. Not to mention the headaches involved trying to handle the aggression issues. If you are set on more Convicts, might think of keeping only females. Cons are prolific breeders and become a big problem when guarding a nest.
Before taking the big fish plunge, research the following fish: Firemouth, Electic Blue Acara, Salvini Cichlid (female) Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, maybe some of the larger Earth Eaters. Also look into mixing in some large Tetras such as Buenos Aires, Red Eyes, Diamonds and Black Skirts.

Back
Top Bottom