NEW 2 this forum....EXCITED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I intend on purchasing a 20gal nano cube. I am going to have coral and a few fish (3-4), size allowable for the task of course. Ive done the initial research on curing live rock and cycling salt water. This site is a tremendous resource for the rookie. lol. I have an interest in the corals (hard & soft) more so than the fish. I would like 2 know the light source preferred not only for coral growth, but also product longevity? Also, I saw references to the compatibility of fish in tanks. Does the same compatibility have 2 occur when selecting coral? Another question, what is the most effective filtration system that will adequately flow the water around my tank to support 20lbs of live rock? I would like 2 start this 1st tank with dependable equipment that will ease the learning curse....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AA! :)

As far as lighting, a T5HO fixture will likely be the most economical choice for that size tank and would allow you to grow most any LPS or softie and some of the easier SPS. Metal halides or LED would obviously work too, but may be overkill. Coral compatibility is more about knowing their needs and placing them appropriately. As far as filtration.... a skimmed sump is generally "the best" but not required. A sump allows you to hide equipment and increase water volume. The skimmer will remove dissolved organics. Adequate flow and PWCs can also do a lot on their own.

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome Aboard
30098-albums1142-picture7907.gif

Also, I saw references to the compatibility of fish in tanks. Does the same compatibility have 2 occur when selecting coral?

Quick answer is yes. Some corals will engage in physical and chemical warfare with their neighbors. They can kill each other, and damage the water quality with their chemicals.

Hey guys me again. I ended up getting a 12g. SO EXCITED. Have 7lbs of rock and my salinity level is 1.020. 1st try. Lookin good. Will send pics shortly. Gotta run.

My pH is 7.8 - 8.0
Ammonia 2.0 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Attachments

• image-3435501803.jpg
    image-3435501803.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 78
Who put that shrimp in the bottom of the tank??? Just kidding. Props for cycling the humane way. Again welcome to AA.

melosu58 said:
Who put that shrimp in the bottom of the tank??? Just kidding. Props for cycling the humane way. Again welcome to AA.

Thanks. Shout out 2 austinsdad for that shrimp tip.

I believe that you can do is just let the temperatures become consistit in both tank and bag then put the coral in? But then im no expert try asking mr X he is an expert

Back
Top Bottom