New 29g Cycling - Nitrites won't go down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MargC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi - My name is Marg and my husband and I are cycling a 29g aquarium. We started this about 3-4 weeks ago but have had a lot of mis-steps! (Listening to bad advice at the LFS and getting confused between different online forums, etc.) Not sure if the tank is almost cycled or not. Nitrites still reading high. After I dose with ammonia, it comes down to zero within 12 hours or less, and then my Nitrates will go down to about .5 (after spiking to 80). The Nitrites are still maxed out at the darkest purple (I'm using the API Master Test Kit).
(About a week ago we did have the filter die and had to purchase a new one--so it wasn't filtering for several hours). I also had ended up using the Nutrifin bacteria stuff almost 2 weeks ago cause the LFS told me to do it, but then they told me to stop adding ammonia--so I messed up I think by stopping the ammonia. (Should have followed the advice here from the beginning). So I may have stalled things or prolonged them unnecessarily--I don't know). I've had the heat turned up, the light off and a bubble stone going too. I did a 50% water change yesterday but it didn't affect the Nitrites--they are still the same. Bottom line is--seems like the ammonia is being converted fine and the nitrates are present and not too high but the nitrites never budge. Can anyone give me any suggestions. Do I keep adding the ammonia or should I just do more water changes and turn the temp down? :( I'm completely confused!

Do you happen to know anyone with a healthy, established aquarium? Your best bet would be to seed and feed IMO. Are you certain that you are following the directions correctly and that the kit is good?

Back
Top Bottom