New and enthusiastic member.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paisley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.
I am from Melbourne Australia.
I spent the greater part of yesterday reading posts on this site and others and decided that this community seemed to be the most informative for my needs. There are some great posts with brilliant advice.
I have just started in this hobby and it has already escalated into a passion. My 40l tank is 6 weeks old and, despite some awful advice from the LFS (I am 'interviewing' new LFS's today) I seem to have done an ok job with only the loss of 4 neons who developed the dreaded ich then died in quarrantine (one survived and one just disappeared??????). The tank is medium heavy planted and currently contains: 2 Platies (with 2 Platie fry), 6 neons, 2 rummy nose, 2 painted widows (which I will NEVER purchase again after reading the process they are put through-just another reason for finding a new LFS) and 3 little glow lights. The rummy nose and the neons have formed a school and they race eachother around the tank.
I do a 50% WC each Sunday with a thorough gravel vacuum and a 25% on Wednesday. I think this is what has helped keep the environment healthy. (I did use medication and increased H20 temp to eradicate the ich as the tank is planted so I couldn't use salt) I have already done battle with a snail infestation and I have learned to treat my plants before adding them to the tank.
So far, fingers crossed, the environment seems to be doing great. The LFS told me I didn't need a water test kit but having read a lot of posts I believe that I probably should have one. I'd like to know what is going on in there. (The LFS wouldn't even test the water for me before I put the first fish in) Again, I think the frequent WC has so far saved me from possible disaster despite the LFS saying that once a fortnight 20% would be enough.
I have a second tank, 20l with a male and female coral (dwarf?) gourami. I can only say that I didn't have any idea about the issues associated with these lovely fish when I bought them. I am getting a larger tank shortly so figure that I will move my community into that one and then move the Gourami into the 40l. I can only hope they don't have the dwarf Gourami disease. They are such friendly interesting creatures.
This hobby is rapidly turning into an obsession and I really look forward to the day when I believe I am sufficiently experienced enough to graduate to a big marine tank.
So hello to every one and thank you all for your informative posts that I have read making this process more understandable and enjoyable. I look forwaqrd to interacting with you all.
Cheers Paisley.

Welcome to the Aquarium Addicts group. Unfortunately, we are all off our rockers and can't kick the habit ;). If you all ready have two tanks, be prepared, you will constantly want to go bigger and fancier, it will consume all your free time. It drives my wife nuts, she watches tv, and I ready posts, and plan the next tank in my head. Just go with it, it's a great hobby, and lowers the stress most of the time.

Thanks for the welcome. 2 just turned into 3. I picked up a 147 litre tank yesterday with stand on ebay. Very excited. Once it is cycled I'll move my 40 litre inhabitants into it and put my beautiful dwarf gourmis in the 40l. Then the 20l can be a quarantine tank.
I live in a reasonable small unit and I've already started moving furniture out to make room. Once the dining table goes there will be room for another 100l or so.......
Its funny how I get home from work exhausted and couldn't be bothered to cook dinner for myself but the water changes still get done. Sigh. It is relaxing though and I love watching the fish.

Back
Top Bottom