new and in need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishandplants

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the hobby, and the site, but I've already read a lot of good advice here. I got my 1st 10 gallon for x-mas...here is comes..sorry....and am cycling fish-in. What a way to make new friends here! My 3 hearty and courageous platys and 1 guppy girl are well. I do need some advice please! I was almost cycled, Ammonia 0, nitrites minimal, and nitrates 30, and suddenly experienced a pH plummet??? I did not forget to declorinate, or change anything about the new routines, I did add an anacharis plant 3 days ago. I fear that I have somehow killed my hard earned bacterial colonies, as I now have ammonia spiking 4, nirites .25, and almost no nitrates reading. (API master kit). I immediatly did a 30PWC, ( I've been doing them every 2-3 days since the begining). I know it's slowing the cycling, but it makes me feel more humane. Any thoughts on why the pH drop (from 6.8 to 6), or any course of action?

My best advice is to get the filter up and running properly find a local friend with a tank then get him to clean his filter in a small amount of water from the tank not tap or de chlorinated so you have nasty brown water take that to your tank within 4 hrs of washing the filter and you will be set up with live bacteria its an old trick for showing discus so sould do the trick

Back
Top Bottom