New and Need advice for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eartheater14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone im obviously new to this site and im looking forward to gaining alot of knowledge here. I do actually have a question but i dont know where to ask lol i have a 55 gallon tank brand new its being cycled now i was planning on putting some geophagus surinamensis in but im not sure how many i should stock ive heard anywhere from only having one to being able to have 5 or 6 i guess im looking for advice because im super indecisive as it is so im stuck on how many i will be able to stock without overcrowding. Thank you to anyone who answers

Considering their adult size, I'd say none. I wouldn't do a lone eartheater, I think they do best in groups.

However, if you're dead set on having some, juvenile specimens can be kept together for a little while in that size system... Or a single one possibly for life, if they don't grow as large in a tank as they do in the wild. Which is like 12 inches, no?

Yea 8-12 inches im not dead set on them i just thpught they were super cool any ideas on a 55 gallon ?

These guys are available and on sale at Imperial Tropicals. Says they'll do ok as a pair, but if they max out at 6 inches, you might be able to get away with 4? If you have a 1 M to 3 F combo.

https://imperialtropicals.com/products/geophagus-steindachneri-red-hump?variant=7189972877335

Ever consider gymnos? There are lots of those that would do great in a 55!
Those red hump geos do look pretty cool i might just some of those since they only get up to 6 inches now is 4 of those like max limit of fish for the 55g or could i still throw in some smaller fish like tetras or bristlenose pleco or if you have ideas on tanl mates i would be open to any ideas

Well i guess all i had to do was keep reading i see the compatibility section now thank you again for taking the time out of your day to respond to me

Back
Top Bottom