New and open to suggestions!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am a new aquarium owner and have heard a lot of conflicting advise from the pet store employees so I am hoping for some advise or guidance from someone who is not trying to sell me half of their aquatic section. I have a 30 long which I originally purchased because my kids have 2 fancy goldfish which seem to keep outgrowing everything we put them in. I really want to find a different home for them because the kids and I want a variety of tropical fish and after buying a few we were told not to put tropical fish with goldfish that we will have lots of problems. Any ideas or suggestions?

First, before you do anything, I'd suggest reading up on cycling (unless you already know all about that?) =] After that you can decide what kind of tank you want. There are special considerations it you wanted a planted tank, for instance, or whether you'd like a peaceful community tropical tank (perfect for tetras, danios, catfish, and others), a semi-aggressive community (such as barbs) or a cichlid tank. There are so many to choose from! How much maintenance are you willing to do is another question to ask.

I didn't know about the cycling which bugs me that nobody at the stores mentioned it to me, but my tank has been up for about a month now, I don't have a test kit but will be getting one today. I don't really want fish that will get very big which is another reason we have decided to find a home for the goldfish so I think cichlids will be out of the question. Mostly we want as much color as we can get without causeing problems. As far as how much work I want to have to do, I don't mind having to do a 50% water change weekly or biweekly but don't want to have to tend to it daily besides feeding.

All right, well when you're done cycling, I'd definitely consider small, low-maintenance fish such as tetras, danios, and rasboras. Other people will have more specific advice for you, but I can tell you that most of the work comes in the original setup and cycling, and there are many kinds of fish that will take care of themselves once properly introduced, other than feedings. No matter what, though, you'll need to probably be willing to do gravel vacuums and weekly testings.

I just realized I didn't say what tropical fish we have added, they are 2 bala sharks, 1 rainbow shark (a bit of a bully at first), 3 platties, and 2 glofish which one disappeared on me today, not sure if it died overnight and was eaten or if it was just eaten, 1 algae eater, and we have the 2 fancy goldfish which I think shouldn't be in there?.?.

I do have a gravel vaccum which I have been doing with the water changes. And I will get the api test kit is it usually easy to find? We have a petco close by as well as a couple locally owned pet stores.

shammond15731 said:
I just realized I didn't say what tropical fish we have added, they are 2 bala sharks, 1 rainbow shark (a bit of a bully at first), 3 platties, and 2 glofish which one disappeared on me today, not sure if it died overnight and was eaten or if it was just eaten, 1 algae eater, and we have the 2 fancy goldfish which I think shouldn't be in there?.?.

The goldfish, you are correct, should not be in there. And glofish are schooling fish that need to be kept in groups of six at least. They are genetically modified zebra danios. I believe bala sharks grow quite large as well. I don't know about the rainbow shark.

Ok, you need to upgrade to a 55 gallon for the rainbow, and the bala sharks need bigger. The glofish will be fine, but you need about 6 more so they can school.

I am starting to think I have a disaster waiting to happen here! I really appreciate all the input! So I need to take the bala's back and get the goldfish out, and get about 5 more glofish. How about the platties? How large will they get and will they be ok with the others? We also liked the angel fish is this an option for us?

shammond15731 said:
I am starting to think I have a disaster waiting to happen here! I really appreciate all the input! So I need to take the bala's back and get the goldfish out, and get about 5 more glofish. How about the platties? How large will they get and will they be ok with the others? We also liked the angel fish is this an option for us?

I believe that one angelfish would be okay. My mom wants an angelfish, but they are cichlids, so I won't put them in my community tank. Plenty of people make it work though.

The only reservation I'd have about the angel would the the dimensions of your tank. Angels grow quite large vertically; therefore, a high tank or a larger long would suit them best. Platties would be fine in your size of tank, and would generally be peaceful, but of course they are livebearers and if you don't want your fry to be free fish food (which does work for a lot of people), then you'd have to consider investing in a breeder tank.

I wouldn't panick. I've done way worse than you, and if you've got the tank running a month without loosing your fish you're not doing all that badly.

Angels can be somwhat aggressive. Not as bad as some of the chiclids, but they'll go after the glow fish and other small fish, at least from what I've read.

Ok I think I may have a plan, I just need to know if pet stores will take the fish or if I need to find someone else who can take them? I don't know anyone with a tank big enough for these sharks :( Anyway the goldfish and sharks are going out I will get a few more glo fish and maybe a few barbs. Although I love the angel fish I don't think I can provide it the proper size home so I won't be getting that. Thanks everyone you have been very helpfull!!

shammond15731 said:
Ok I think I may have a plan, I just need to know if pet stores will take the fish or if I need to find someone else who can take them? I don't know anyone with a tank big enough for these sharks :( Anyway the goldfish and sharks are going out I will get a few more glo fish and maybe a few barbs. Although I love the angel fish I don't think I can provide it the proper size home so I won't be getting that. Thanks everyone you have been very helpfull!!

Most of them do take your fish. Barbs are very aggressive and don't belong in a community tank. Your getting there, don't worry

You're welcome. =] If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom