New and tried to do it right but am failing. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the arena of saltwater aquariums. Had fresh water tanks in the past but a friend talked me into going to a saltwater set-up because it isn't as hard as it used to be to maintain according to him.

Started buying all new equipment October 1 2012 (see my profile for my set-up). Allowed tank to stabilize and introduced first fish (2 small Ocellaris Clowns) October 26, 2012. All good. Added Condylactus Anemone, 3 peppermint shrimp and Emerald crab on Nov 7, 2012. Still ok. Added Lemon peel angel, Canary Blenny, Purple Dottyback, scarlet skunk cleaner on Nov 14, 2012. Lemon peel angel died in 4 days - found in bottom of tank. Got a partial refund and bought a Pelewensis Butterfly.

Tank was stable for a while then fish started to disappear. Tank is fully covered so there were no leapers. There were no floating or sinking bodies. Religously checked Ph, SG, NH3, Nitrites, and Nitrates. All withinin range. Ammonia would rise a little every now and then but always came back in line.

Added Bartlette Anthias and royal gramma baslette. Pelewensis found dead on bottom Dec 28, 2012. As of Jan 07, 2013 the only things left in the tank are 2 peppermint shrimp, the skunk shrimp, and the Condylactus Anemone. The clownfish were the last to go. Again - no bodies not even for the Anthias which was of reasonable size. However, the anemone never looked so good. Larger with tentacles flowing nicely.

I've maintained my chemicals, temp, changed charcoal, cleaned skimmer per instructions. Changed out 10% water bi weekly. I('m pretty fed up because I wanted to do it right and spent the money to buy all new. Right now I blew over $400 on dead fish alone.

I want to keep going but am frustrated. I'm pointing the finger at the anemone because of it's size and health and the lack of bodies. Everything I read says that they are supposed to be good for starters.

Mycurrent mindset is to bag the anemone and give the [moderator edit] thing back. Just get it out of my sight.

Could someone help me. I got too much invested to just give up. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

You`ll get more answers if you post your questions in the SW section.

What size is your tank? - it seems like you added too many fish at once, which is what happened to me. I started my tank in October as well. My tank is 55 gallons. I added a yellow tang, fox face, 5 blue/green chromis, royal gramma, dwarf zebra lionfish, 2 six line wrasse and a green madarin and 2 clowns. They all died except for 1 clown. Your tank has to be established for at least 6-8 months before adding an anenome. THey all died pretty much 1 by 1. the yellow tang and 1 clown had ich. the royal gramma went completely missing still cant find him till this day. the 5 chromis died one by one and then the lion fish died the day after xmas. the foxface died when the clown died, about a month ago. it really sucks losing so many fish, especially thinking the money you spent on them. Your tank had to be cycled which normally takes 2-6 weeks. Once your tank is fully cycled you can slowly add fish, key word, slowly. 1 fish per month is what I am going to do now. I know it's hard but it's the best thing to do.

I found your tank profile and it seems you have good eqiupment. Did you purchase fully cured live rock and live sand when you started? I just completed rebuilding a 90 gallon with fully deep seeded coral bed, half cured rock(60 pounds) and half uncured. It took my tank almost six weeks to cycle and added my cleaner crew first. I would add no more than 1 or 2 fish per month starting out. Another thing to consider if you bought live rock. There could be something you're not aware of in your tank.

I found your tank profile and it seems you have good eqiupment. Did you purchase fully cured live rock and live sand when you started? I just completed rebuilding a 90 gallon with fully deep seeded coral bed, half cured rock(60 pounds) and half uncured. It took my tank almost six weeks to cycle and added my cleaner crew first. I would add no more than 1 or 2 fish per month starting out. Another thing to consider if you bought live rock. There could be something you're not aware of in your tank.

Thanks Texas.

The rock was all live cured (42 lbs for 40 gal. tank). The sand was not live (out of a bag from the dealer). Everything I bought (including fish and 10% periodic replacement water) was from the same dealer (reputable - at least 50 years in the business). Just baffled with the lack of any bodies with the exception of the large canary angel and Pelewensis Butterfly.

The 2 Ocellaris Clowns were there for over 2 months and were fine. It wasn't until every other fish was gone that they disappeared over a couple of days.

My wife, who teaches high school zoology, questioned right away as to why I had an anemone in the tank. Not only have I lost a lot of fish and money, I'm having to deal with an I told you so.

I read about the anemones and the Condylactus Anemone is supposed to be good for a starter tank. I think that I got a rougue anemone.

PS Please tell me that your not a Cowboy fan. I live and die Black and Gold. If so, neither of us did too well this year.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

I'm a cowboys fan. :) Not a Romo fan, though.

I got rid of my condy. They eat anything that gets too close! That's my suggestion to the problem if your parameters and equipment were good and they were disappearing.

Edit: I forgot to welcome you! There are a lot of great, really educated people here that will help you find the problem you are having!

I'm a cowboys fan. :) Not a Romo fan, though.

I got rid of my condy. They eat anything that gets too close! That's my suggestion to the problem if your parameters and equipment were good and they were disappearing.

Edit: I forgot to welcome you! There are a lot of great, really educated people here that will help you find the problem you are having!

Thanks. I've noticed the rapid responses to come to my aid at this site. Maybe if I ever get this thing off the ground I may be able to help someone.

The game plan is to get rid of the Condy either by throwing it against the wall or the lady that sold it to me (not really, she is really nice and knowledgable). That thing cost me over $420 in fish. Sure looks healthy though.

PS For some reason find myself rooting for the Seahawks. Anyone but the Patriorts and Belichek

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've noticed the rapid responses to come to my aid at this site. Maybe if I ever get this thing off the ground I may be able to help someone.

The game plan is to get rid of the Condy either by throwing it against the wall or the lady that sold it to me (not really, she is really nice and knowledgable). That **** thing cost me over $420 in fish. Sure looks healthy though.

PS For some reason find myself rooting for the Seahawks. Anyone but the Patriorts and Belichek

This site has made me 100% a better, more understanding fish owner. You came to The right place! I didn't know it, but I was pretty ignorant before I joined. Lol.

Do you have a local fish store that will take the condy for store credit? That's what I did. They only gave me $4, but it was worth not losing more expensive fish. :)

I understand! Ya know, I've never been much of a fair weather fan, but I'm losing my patience with the cowboys(I still can't help but blame Jerry Jones.) I'm thinking of rooting for the Texans next year, just to see how it feels. Haha.

This site has made me 100% a better, more understanding fish owner. You came to The right place! I didn't know it, but I was pretty ignorant before I joined. Lol.

Do you have a local fish store that will take the condy for store credit? That's what I did. They only gave me $4, but it was worth not losing more expensive fish. :)

I understand! Ya know, I've never been much of a fair weather fan, but I'm losing my patience with the cowboys(I still can't help but blame Jerry Jones.) I'm thinking of rooting for the Texans next year, just to see how it feels. Haha.

Thanks again jmay33. I'll probably take the thing back to the lady. She's pretty good and will probably credit me something (pretty stupid if she doesn't since I have over $1500 in fish and equipment with them).

Have a good saltwater day.

Thanks again jmay33. I'll probably take the thing back to the lady. She's pretty good and will probably credit me something (pretty stupid if she doesn't since I have over $1500 in fish and equipment with them).

Have a good saltwater day.

Anytime. I hope that fixes your problem! :) have a good one.

Back
Top Bottom