Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,925
First of all there is no stupid questions

Second
Some people put there water in a bucket and condition some put the conditioner in the tank while filling it. I don't use conditioner because I have well water
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Ok lol yea I think I'm going to put it directly in the tank but should I take the fish out while doing this and just keep them in a bucket for like a half hour while the water circulates or just keep them in the tank. I just don't want to put more stress on the fish
__________________

__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Ok lol yea I think I'm going to put it directly in the tank but should I take the fish out while doing this and just keep them in a bucket for like a half hour while the water circulates or just keep them in the tank. I just don't want to put more stress on the fish
Taking them out would be more stress you'll be fine
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Ok Awesome, thanks again, we will see what it looks like tomorrow I'm test,it like every 12 hours. Patently waiting lol
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Ok Awesome, thanks again, we will see what it looks like tomorrow I'm test,it like every 12 hours. Patently waiting lol
Lol
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
Seems like your in your high nitrite phase. That is the longest phase of the nitrogen cycle. You'll constantly have Hugh nitrite. Can lay between 1-3 weeks. What I did was make sure it's never off te chart for more than a few days. I so do some big water changes. Or don't dose ammonia for a day. (won't starve other bacteria) after this phase is over you want to start gradually increasing ammonia dosage tell you can convert close to 4p pm to 0 (zero nitrite most of the time at this point) for couple days straight. After that you won't to skip a day of dosing ammonia. Do close to 100% water change to get nitrates lower than 20ppm.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Good morning all, so just tested the water and believe it or not no nitrites at all, ammonia is at between 0-.25 nitrates are between 40-80. Time to do a 75% water change?
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Good morning all, so just tested the water and believe it or not no nitrites at all, ammonia is at between 0-.25 nitrates are between 40-80. Time to do a 75% water change?
Not quite yet. I would double test your nitrite. Make sure to shake the bottle. If still zero I would dose to 4ppm tonight then if both ammonia and nitrites are zero. Skip dosing that day. Bump down temp if you have it set higher. And do a water have the next day is all is 0 and nitrates are high
__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Ok I dosed back to 4ppm this afternoon, I come home from work tonight and test the water. Ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 3-4ppm, nitrates 80ppm. I will update on the results tomorrow after work as well I'm not touching it tonight I will let them do their work oh and started running both filters this afternoon, bio wheel 150 is kind of loud any secrets to quiet it down at all I'm sure I'll get used to it but just curious.
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Ok I dosed back to 4ppm this afternoon, I come home from work tonight and test the water. Ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 3-4ppm, nitrates 80ppm. I will update on the results tomorrow after work as well I'm not touching it tonight I will let them do their work oh and started running both filters this afternoon, bio wheel 150 is kind of loud any secrets to quiet it down at all I'm sure I'll get used to it but just curious.
How's it going? Not sure if you can quite it down I've never had a bio wheel.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Ok just tested the water ammonia is at .25 ppm nitrites are 5ppm and nitrates hanging around 80 I'm hoping this is complete today as it's the only day I can pick out fish with the family.
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
Ok just tested the water ammonia is at .25 ppm nitrites are 5ppm and nitrates hanging around 80 I'm hoping this is complete today as it's the only day I can pick out fish with the family.
It is not done yet. You need to have zero ammonia and nitrites for couple says in a row. Keep adding between 3-4ppm every day ten redose when it is zero
__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
I don't know if you know Tyler but I have been doing this for over a month now. I am able to turn 4ppm of ammonia in to nitrites then nitrates in less than 24 hours I think the water is ready, I'm waiting until nitrites are at zero then doing a huge water change to bring down the nitrate level. Fish will be coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice though
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
I don't know if you know Tyler but I have been doing this for over a month now. I am able to turn 4ppm of ammonia in to nitrites then nitrates in less than 24 hours I think the water is ready, I'm waiting until nitrites are at zero then doing a huge water change to bring down the nitrate level. Fish will be coming tomorrow. Thanks for the advice though
If you think it's ready then go for it. Trail and error. Congrats. And good luck
__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Your saying that I need to have 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia levels but dose ammonia as soon as they drop down so if I keep dosing ammonia, the ammonia will turn in to nitrites and nitrites will turn in to nitrates so the levels will never be at 0 for a few days.
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
You need to be able to convert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. Meaning 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. And after you do a water change you should have nitrates below 20ppm. It is not safe for fish to have that high of nitrites.
__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Greg5530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 59
I tested a couple of hours ago and ammonia was at 0-.25 nitrites were at 1ppm and nitrates were at 80, so obviously the process is taking place. Tomorrow morning everything should be 0 as it was the other day.
__________________
Greg5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler3533
You need to be able to convert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. Meaning 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. And after you do a water change you should have nitrates below 20ppm. It is not safe for fish to have that high of nitrites.
I would almost lay money that his nitRITEs will be gone before morning witch is what happend the last time. Morning for me is in about 5 hours lol
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Tyler3533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5530
I tested a couple of hours ago and ammonia was at 0-.25 nitrites were at 1ppm and nitrates were at 80, so obviously the process is taking place. Tomorrow morning everything should be 0 as it was the other day.
Sounds like you got a plan. As long as your lower those nitrates with a PWC you should be good
__________________

__________________
Tyler3533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.