new aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mind waiting. It's kinds fun learning about the water. I'm just worried my goldex clear no phosphates no fragrance ammonia whish has no bubbles or foam when shaken is ok. I'm a worry wart

You could always use shrimp. I did that once. You don't control your ammonia as much that way, but it does work.

steveyp said:
I found goldex household ammonia. Is this stuff ok to use to start my fishless cycle??

From what I have been able to find on other forums, this stuff has been successful in the past.
Now, the question is the %. Most references I found said that it's 5% ammonia. Does the bottle/company have a number to call & double check this? If not, put the numbers into the calculator to figure out the ml dose. Then only add 1/2 the dose. Wait atleast 15mins (with your filter on) and check your ammonia level. If its truly 5%, it should read @2ppm. Then go ahead & add the other 1/2 the dose. Remember to adjust the 'ppm' on the calculator from the default # (5ppm) to 4ppm. :)

Thx so much you r awesome. I just need to get a check valve for my air stone setup and will do this tomorrow. My calcs adjusted to 4 ppm say 7.17 ml I will start with half. Check 15 mins. Later check reading and go from there. Ty so much.

Hello. You where correct the goldex is 5%. I have tank up to 4ppm. Will test in morning. When level drops add more ammonia to bring it back to 4ppm and do that every day? And when should I start testing for nitrites? Again thx for all your help.

Now is the hard part- waiting. Test your ammonia once a day & wait for it to drop. Once it drops to 1ppm (or lower) redose to 4ppm. Remember to adjust the dose for the amm that may be present. If your tank reads .50ppm, then use calculator to get the exact dose for 3.5ppm (3.5 + .50= 4). When you see big amm drops, yyou can start checking for nitrites. If you havent done so already, bump your temp up to the mid-eighties & make sure theres tons of aeration. Adding airstones/bubblers and/or dropping the tank level so the filter splashes will help. :)

Hello. 3 days in and the amm levels have dropped to 2 ppm. I'll wait for 1 ppm then dose up. Question
My ph level is 8.0 which is normal for the city I live in. Do I need to lower this if so when? Not sure what's up with ph? Thx for any help.

Hi Steve! Thats a great start!!! Your ph is not an issue, so dont worry about it. Most fish can adapt to a variety of ph levels as long as they are properly acclimated. Unless you plan on keeping a sensitive species of fish, your ph is fine! My city water actually sits in the same range (7.8-8) and many people have water with much higher phs than this as well.

Tank progress. Ammo dropped to 1ppm dosed it back to 4ppm. Tested for nitrites reading was .25 ppm. Is the party starting? Lol.

It depends on how your doing the water change. If your using buckets, you can dose dechlor per bucket. Or, alternately, dose to the size of the tank and then refill via bucket. If your using a python/other type of water changer, you need to dose to the size of your tank before refilling it. Hope this helps!

New tanks reading Sept 14 are ammo 4ppm nitrites have risen from .025 to 1.00 ph steady at 8.0.
I see what you mean about patience!! It's slow going. Wow!

Actually for only a week into your cycle, your tank is doing very well! Most people dont even see a drop in ammonia or any nitrites for the first 2-4wks of a fishless cycle from scratch (no cycled media). Hang in there and keep us posted! :)

I was like you when i first started but now i look back i think all of it was in my head lol. The art of patience is all that is needed but the end result is you give your fish the best possible start you can.

Tank progress. Nitrates have shown up at 5ppm. Ammo at 2, nitrites at 5 ph steady at 8
Slow going but it seems to be working.thx to jkl..

Back
Top Bottom