New At This!! - Have so many questions!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cohnfamily

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! This is our first time dealing in fish tanks! My two year old little boy got a 30 gallon tank for his birthday! (yeah I was in shock because I am the one that has to take care of it and do all the work, but I am ready! ;)). We have let the tank cycle but now we have no idea where to begin..I know nothing about fish. The only fish I have ever had is a Betta named Linney! yes, he is still alive!
Please help us get started on this new tank......cleaning? what fish to get? products to put in tank? anything ...we are open for all the information!
thanks so much!

Hi. I just joined in tonight too. And I posted about my 10 gallon tank. I cannot give you any advice yet since the members told me that I had overstocked my tank already. LOL...a very beginner indeed! They called it Multiple Tank Syndrome (MTS) when someone had a lot of different species in one tank...

But anyway, welcome to AA! And I bet a lot of them in here can help you and me.

Have a wonderful night!

P.S. Your son is so lucky. My 4 year old loved our tank too.

Thank you! At first I was shocked that we got it because I had no idea what to do with it..but I think once we get it going it will be really enjoyable for us! My little boy LOVES fish so I think he will truly enjoy it! I DO know that you can't just dump a bunch of fish in the tank! You have to make sure they can live together! so at least I know something! :p

I know. LOL. I really should have researched first. I thought I was doing a good job because my mom used to have an aquarium and I helped her take care of it before. But I guess my experience was not the best. I still made bad choices on my very own tank. Well, that's what the forums are for. :)

Take care!

MTS is actually when you run multiple tanks (stemming from wanting too many fish, of course!).

What do you mean by you have cycled the tank? Using the average Local Fish Store definition (that you've dechlorinated your water and allowed it to sit in the tank for 12-24 hours), your tank is not actually cycled. I recommend reading this article on fishless cycling, and this article on the nitrogen cycle.

Once you've read those and while you're waiting for your cycle to complete, you can plan your tank! Are there any fish in particular that you really would like to have? Starting with one type of fish you want and going from there is pretty helpful :)

Have fun! :) I've been on here for the last five weeks or so while waiting for our tank to finish, we're antsy for fish, too! :)

Oh! And finally, here's a tool you can use to help plan your tank's stocking! AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

First of all I'm pretty sure MTS is having more than one tank ( not species in a tank...lol). Just had to add that :p
Well as for where to start...well I just cycled my second tNk and stocked it myself (my first tank I bought used with the fish). Anyways, I'm def no expert but here's a few things I've learned from my experience and research. I follow the inch of fish per gallon of water rule (as a general rule of thumb). So make sure you research how big those tiny little fish from the pet store will grow (or you too will have MTS....lol). Only add a few fish at time, I started with my tiger barbs because they are a hardier fish (remember adding fish will get things going again with your cycling or at least it did for mine, made the ammonia start to spike again but it went down quickly with daily water changes). Then I moved in 2 or 3.fish every few weeks until it was stocked. Use Prime, it's great for the fish (I call it fish aspirin) and have lots of patience...lol...Its been almost 4 months since I set up my 44g and I just finished stocking it 2 weeks ago (actually still need an algae eater...anyways enough about me).
Welcome to AA!!!

LOL see! I told you am no expert yet. I cannot even define MTS properly. LOL...anyway, thanks for that..

Back
Top Bottom