New Aussie Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pranicmegan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to Everyone here. I'm glad to join you.

I will be picking everyone's brains as I am kinda new to this. I've had fish before but I knew next to NOTHING ... I dunno how I even kept em alive. But I did. Musta fluked it. lol.

My mum recently died (6 weeks ago) so I am flinging myself whole heartedly into this hobby to try to keep my sanity. :(

I started off a few months back with a single four foot tank that I managed to scavenge second hand. It came already stocked with fish I didnt want. Sigh. But I kept them, thinking they would soon get eaten ... but they are STILL THERE.

I got another second hand tank recently (and got a schmick stand made for it out of steel for a bargain!! A DOUBLE stand too!) which I am putting African Cichlids in. And an Oscar (eventually ... when the Africans are not babies anymore) ... but being a double stand I have room for another tank in the future for when my Oscie outgrows his tankmates. :D

I researched carefully before I chose the fish for my African tank. I wish I'd done the same for my first tank. I wouldn't have gotten the Black Ghost Knifefish ... I'm gunna have to get ANOTHER tank for him eventually, if I can keep him alive that is. I've had him for 2 weeks (he's only about 2 inches long) and so far so good, he eats like a pig. Only live Blackworms though, which is why he is NOT in the African tank.

I find it very hard to find info on tank parameters for the Black Ghost Knifefish. Does anyone here have any info on it? I have it in my 'soft' tank. Which is ph neutral .... established fliter so 0 for both Ammonia and Nitrates/Nitrites .... I cant find if this is ok or not ... Does anyone know?
He seems ok so far, but I'd prefer to find out if I am doing something wrong BEFORE he gets sick or shows symptoms ..... I LOVE him already !!

THANKS to everyone who took the time to read my post, and THANKS in advance for any advice!!
Megan

Welcome to the site!
You may want to post your specific questions in the FW section, sometimes the gurus don't check this section.

Welcome to the site! We are glad to have you!

I would post specific fish care questions in the appropriate forums like Scott says...you'll get faster responses that way.

WELCOME TO AA :n00b:
Sorry to hear about your mum. Fish keeping will certainly keep you busy. As for the sanity--we all lost ours by the third tank! ;)

Back
Top Bottom