New fish guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dluxx17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey my name is Daniel I'm currently just getting into fish I have a 45 gallon tank and just started this hobby it's been alot of fun so far hope this site will help me out I have already posted a question I have a 45 gallon tank that I ran a 2 month cycle for and everything was great and now have about 30 fish in there some guppies blue tail tetras Dalmatians Molly's and a few others is this too much ??:thanks:
Daniel

No that doesnt sound like too much. You could probably add many more. You can go on a site called 'aquadvisor' and enter in your tank size and the fish you have and it'll tell you if your tank is nearing overstocking. However this site is pretty conservative and you can go over by like, 50% and it probably won't kill your fish if its already up and running. So check out that if you want.

Welcome wish I could have a big tank like you! I live I a rickety old apartment with wavy hardwood floors that haven't been redone since like the 30's "I'm sure they have they just are beat up " and Im worried about me crushing the beams that support my part of the building its a small one 2 floors and a basement and 4 rooms per floor ... Not trying to cause a collapse :)

IMO its too much to fast. Take it slowly when adding stock to allow your bacteria to grow with your bio load.

I agree ... I don't know much but that's alot of fish but as long as your testing your water and it looks good your fine but its recomended to only add 3-4 fish per week.

Thanks

Ok ill have to keep an eye on them. What kinda gravel vacuum do you guys suggest ?

What do you guys feed your fish some people have told me flakes are fine other suggest blood worms ?

Hey guys I'm going to clean my tank finally got a gravel cleaner . Should I change my filter too ? My water is a big cloudy I think it's time to your frozen food instead of fish flakes ?

Hey guys I'm going to clean my tank finally got a gravel cleaner . Should I change my filter too ? My water is a big cloudy I think it's time to your frozen food instead of fish flakes ?

Welcome to AA!
You really should have waited, that was pretty fast man!
Ouse flakes, maybe you are over feeding, I only use a pinch for 8 fish
You should change your filter media every 3-4 weeks

I haven't cleaned it yet it's been 6 weeks should I wait ? I have 30 fish in the tank so I give them 3-4 pinches just seems like my water is a bit cloudy

I dont think you should change your filter media,if its really dirty and clogged just rinse it in your old tank water during your pwc.(never just tap water it will kill your BB) From everything ive read here it only needs changed when its literally falling apart.

What's the best fish/snail to clean algae I have some in my tank which is normal but I don't want it to get outta control

Bulldog plecos or clown plecos, there one if the smaller breeds. Never buy the cheap common pleco they get 2 feet long

Clown plecos hardly touch Algae. I ran a breeding setup for a short time and they never even thought of eating the green :p they are panaques after all, so they eat off the wood. Rubberlip/bulldog plecos are the best by far, mine is territorial towards other plecs, so keep one of this species, he should get the job done :)

I just did my first water change and checked the water everything looked good except the nitrite level it's around 3 how come I hear this is going to kill my fish what should I do I'm worried now lol?

Back
Top Bottom