New From Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeagFleet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi- found this site looking for decor ideas for my convict cichlid.

I became a cichlid owner in a round about way.
When my son was a few months old I got a 10 gallon tank for some colorful fish for him to watch.
We left for the holidays and our neighbor watched our cats for us. When we came back he said I have some fish and he came over with a mason jar and 4 fish I had never heard of. It was only after I added them to my tank and the next morning that I discovered they were fish eaters having lost 3 danios over night.

I also discovered that they were mean fish and that I had a breeding pair- Big Daddy killed off the other 2 and then we had my first batch of fry. I thought it was cool but then they had another batch and at that point I was done with the happy family. I took all the babies and Momma and Pappa and gave them to a local pet store but kept the biggest baby left over from the first batch of fry.

and that is Junior.

it has been over 6 years now and Junior has moved from Maryland to Florida. Lived in the 10 gallon tank with danios until he was big enough to eat them. Then was in a 6 gallon tank. I then found out that cichlids should be in at least 20 gallons so that is what he is in now.

He lives on a diet of Pellets, frozen blood worms and the occasional feeder guppy or ghost shrimp.

The last batch of 10 guppies he decided to keep 3 of them around for a while. Then he was down to just 1 and that 1 has lived with Junior for going on 4 months now.

So I really dont know what I am doing Ive never had a fish this long before- I read they can live to 10 years. I think it's kind of cool I've had him his whole life.

Back
Top Bottom